Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:53 PM   #11

Hi Sarah,

just a little curious... the nikon S60 is pretty nice as well.. do u think its much more better than sony W150?

Thanks!!!
pinkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:14 AM   #12

Actually, Pinky-

The Nikon P-60 is not better! They are attempting to cram too many pixels on that one little CCD. Personally, I would stay away from it. But again the choice is up to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 3:08 AM   #13

Thanks Sarah for your reply...

I actually mean Nikon S-60 which just being released to the market. I just know that as well. Sorry about that.

Actually I am still confuse since many people at dpreview forum regretted of purchasing Sony W. However, I also love to consider Nikon. Any recommendation?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:19 AM   #14

I'm not Sarah, but I'll jump in here. In my opinion, Canon has a lock on how digital camera's work and what works well for people.
As Sarah has said, you need to handle the camera's yourself to see how they fit your hand to make a final decision.
Assuming they would work ergonomically for you, I would go for one of the Canon's Sarah mentioned earlier.
I have a couple Canon camera's a home, I have 5 or 6 Canon's at school.

<On soapbox)
Personally, I wouldn't go with Sony because of their rootkit debacle with music CD's. That might be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but that's the way it is.
<off soapbox>

Joe
Kalispell, MT

pinkybaby wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Sarah for your reply...

I actually mean Nikon S-60 which just being released to the market. I just know that as well. Sorry about that.

Actually I am still confuse since many people at dpreview forum regretted of purchasing Sony W. However, I also love to consider Nikon. Any recommendation?

Thanks!
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:47 AM   #15

Thanks so much for ur recommendation..

i went to the shop today and i decided that i would like to purchase canon other than sony and nikon. however, i just know that camera recommended by Sarah is actually using AA battery and its too big for me.

so i want to go for smaller canon one, means like my choice is only canon ixus right?

Sarah and Joe, pls recommend one, i want to buy the camera next week. pls help me!!!

as i said before my budget is up to aud $600. and basically for general usage, indoor and outdoor. think of using the camera for travelling so optical zoom might be important. and will use at night time indoor and outdoor. more important of all, it produce good quality pics hahahhahaha

thanks!

Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:39 PM   #16

Just so you and I are "on the same page" in terms of what you're looking for.

1. You want a really small camera, smaller than the "A" series
2. You don't want it to use AA batteries.

Just a couple things. The Canon's that Sarah recommended are really quite small. Much smaller then they look in the pictures. Have you actually held one? I like the A series because of the "handle" afforded by the battery compartment.

AA batteries are really an advantage. Use rechargeables, never use throwaway batteries, they aren't designed for the high drain of digital cameras. However, if you're in a fix and do not have a charged set of batteries, you can always go to about any store and get AA's to get you by until you can get your rechargeables charged.

I would never buy a camera without an optical viewfinder. To my knowledge, there has never been an LCD that is really good in bright sunshine. Besides that, I can't think of any less stable position to take a picture than holding the camera out at arms length.

Here's a small camera *with* an optical viewfinder.
Canon SD890 IS.
pinkybaby wrote: [/b]

Quote:

i went to the shop today and i decided that i would like to purchase canon other than sony and nikon. however, i just know that camera recommended by Sarah is actually using AA battery and its too big for me.

so i want to go for smaller canon one, means like my choice is only canon ixus right?

Sarah and Joe, pls recommend one, i want to buy the camera next week. pls help me!!!

as i said before my budget is up to aud $600. and basically for general usage, indoor and outdoor. think of using the camera for travelling so optical zoom might be important. and will use at night time indoor and outdoor. more important of all, it produce good quality pics hahahhahaha

thanks!

Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:55 PM   #17

Thanks a lot for helping out, Joe-

You make an excellent point about Canon producing well targeted and very functional digital cameras. To a slightly lesser degree, Panasonic also does a good job.

However, in the low light level photo area, Fuji, has also made a name for themselves. If Pinky, could find a Fuji F-20, that might be the very best fit. Otherwise, look for the replacement for the Canon A-720IS.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:01 PM   #18

Hi Joe & Sarah,

yes i would like smaller camera, which same size like IXUS series, pocket camera. i already went to the store and try out the A720IS and my hands pretty small, hahahha.... so hard to handle as well.. i knowA720IS produce nice images.... if that's the case, i dont mind using AA batteries...

i cant find fuji f-20 in the store nearby...

so any recommendation for smaller camera other than SD890IS? give me one more choice and i go to the store to buy.. hahahhahaa... just couldnt wait much longer...

Thank you very much!!!!!

Joe-1957 wrote:
Quote:
Just so you and I are "on the same page" in terms of what you're looking for.

1. You want a really small camera, smaller than the "A" series
2. You don't want it to use AA batteries.

Just a couple things. The Canon's that Sarah recommended are really quite small. Much smaller then they look in the pictures. Have you actually held one? I like the A series because of the "handle" afforded by the battery compartment.

AA batteries are really an advantage. Use rechargeables, never use throwaway batteries, they aren't designed for the high drain of digital cameras. However, if you're in a fix and do not have a charged set of batteries, you can always go to about any store and get AA's to get you by until you can get your rechargeables charged.

I would never buy a camera without an optical viewfinder. To my knowledge, there has never been an LCD that is really good in bright sunshine. Besides that, I can't think of any less stable position to take a picture than holding the camera out at arms length.

Here's a small camera *with* an optical viewfinder.
Canon SD890 IS.
pinkybaby wrote: [/b]

Quote:

thanks!

Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:22 PM   #19

pinky-

Honestly, I have given this my very best shot. My final word is this: I did not think that you would find a Fuji F-20, so if you want the best go with the Canon A-720IS. If that is too big, all you can fall back on is the Sony W-150. I honestly don't know the long term reliability of the W-150. It has received good reviews, but I have never owned one.

So I will hope that you will understand when I say that I am out of suggestions. If you are interested in much bigger ultra-zoom cameras, I have all kinds of suggestions. But for now, I have exhausted my suggestions in the ultra compact camera area.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:28 AM   #20

Pinky, like Sarah I'm out of suggestions. Even if you could find a camera smaller than the Canon Digital Elph, I'd be concerned about the long term durability. I don't like Sony's because of their underhanded marketing practices concerning rootkits and music CD's. That very well may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but so be it.

Look at reviews here on Steves and on the Digital Camera Resource Page. (my other favorite camera site)

Good luck,
Joe

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
So I will hope that you will understand when I say that I am out of suggestions