Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:32 PM   #1

I have a Sony DSLR-A300, but am on the lookout for a wee, ultra-compact digicam to carry in my purse. I'm having shoulder surgery in a little over a week and will be hard-pressed to use my big camera for many weeks afterward. I will die a slow death if I can't take any pictures. My cellphone's camera won't hold me over, either.

I know the newer compact digitals are cramming far too many megapixels into tiny sensors, so I am looking for a recommendation on an older one. From what I read, the sub-6mp cameras are good bets for the best quality, correct?

What models should I look at for the best optics and least noise? I am not concerned about the bells and whistles like face-finder and the like, but do want a camera which lets me choose white balance, use aperture and shutter-priority modes, etc. I know shutter lag will be an issue with any compact.

I read an article last year that pointed to a particular older model as being the go-to for people who know potography. Darned if I can remember which brand it was, let alone which model.

What are your favorites?
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:08 PM   #2

One I've heard mentioned a lot is the Fuji F30. Here's a review on it. I don't know if you will be able to find one though.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmF30/

Dennis

Edit - I found some available on Ebay, but you may have to pay as much as a new Fuji for it.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:14 PM   #3

However, I think you can still find refurbished F20's at Amazon or on Ebay.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:51 PM   #4

Hey, you know what...It just might have been the F20 I'd read about. Check out the sample shots in the photos at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-15652157-...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

Nice shots even in high ISO's. Hmmm.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote