Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1

Hi there

Probably the question that has been asked a million times, but with new cameras coming out all the time I'm stumped!

I'm getting married later this year and am looking for a good camera to take away with us to capture our honeymoon on the beach and at night time and then to live with for a few years to come. My camera of choice at the moment is my SE K850i phone.

I've spent a hours searching various review sites and each seems to contradict the other!

I was looking at the Lumix FX500 as when I first came across it was getting great reviews, then I find other sites not recommending its picture quality etc. Also liked the look of the canon Ixus 950 (i think)

I am not a professional camera man, although I am a graphic designer and would like something I can use to take the odd stock photo when the opportunities come along. So a good Macro lens would be an advantage but not a necessity.

The main use will be family photos, holiday snaps, concerts, and general snapping really. I do like to play though. When I'm bored on holiday I will won't to play with the settings to get some strange and wonderful results...

I have a modest budget of around £250 0r $500 and look forward to some more suggestions.

Oh it has to be pocket or handbag sized too.

Thanks in advance.

A very stuck consumer

:G
tapster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2

tapster-

You might want to look at two different cameras, that have received good reviews:

Sony H-10
Panasonic TZ-5

Both cameras have a small form factor, offer a creditable zoom range, and might meet your needs nicely.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3

Hi Sarah

Thanks for a quick response.

Out of them 2 I think the panasonic would fit the bill purely for the size. The sony looks a bit big for a pocket IMO.

You have taken me down a new path of research now, Another 3 hours of google me thinks :-)

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4

Sorry to be a pain.

Could I ask why you recommend the TZ-5. I have just read 1 review that suggest the picture quality is the same as the FX500 and FX35 and it is purely down to whether you want a touch screen or 10x zoom.

Would someone like me notice the 'noise' on dark shots or is it a case of being over picky being pro's with photography. (I know what I'm like with my job where as some will say its fine, I don't agree!)

Thanks

Chris

Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5

Chris-

The Panasonic TZ-5 is an excellent choice. Here is a no flash/existing light photos from the TZ-5 taken at ISO 800. It was also hand held. The main reason for mentioning the Sony H-10 is that it has really excellent flash capability.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:27 PM   #6

That's a beautiful picture

Thanks Sarah

Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:39 PM   #7

Chris-

It is also a good example of what ISO 800 on the Panasonic TZ-5 looks like. I personally find it quite acceptable. If you do not need or use video clips, then you might want to save so money by looking at the TZ-4 which does not have the HD video clip capability of the TZ-5.

Here is another ISO 800 sample photo from the Panasonic TZ-5.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images