Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:01 PM   #11

If you are not in a hurry, the FZ18 will soon be replaced by the FZ28. It might be worth looking in to it. In the meantime, here is a review of the FZ18 not often viewed. It dwells on the RAW image capability of the FZ18 that is often overlooked.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...8/fz18-gen.php

Here's some info on the new FZ28;

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...nic+lumix+fz28

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:03 PM   #12

Upsidedown-

Perhaps your post is very solid testimony to the fact that you are not paying very much attention to your own thread! Fellow poster, the proper selection with a very studied approach of your next camera is much more than just buzzing, like some little bee, around to various camera shops and handling cameras and telling us your reaction.

If that is where you find yourself, please be very up front and honest and tell us just that. However, if you care to get a bit more serious, there are a goodly number of us here on this Forum, that are standing by to assist you in a very LARGE way.

However, I sincerely think that the discussion has to far beyond just handling cameras, and telling us what you might or might not think!

Please wake-up and pay attention, Upsidedown, sample photos have been posted and you have not chosen to make a single comment about those posted photos. Dare I say it, loud and clear, that we, who want to help you, are still not clear at all about EXACTLY the kind of photos that you desire to take with your NEW camera.

It is as simple as this: You work with us and we will work with you!

But the next step, Upsidedown, is entirely up to you. We have already signaled that we are very willing indeed to help you. But unless you get more serious and definitive, I for one am out of here.

Flippancy does not work well at all! We really need very real specifics, then we can help you personally, and one on one. The next step is yours, Upsidedown!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:03 PM   #13

Folks-

Upsidedown is now PM'ing me to plead his case. I personally believe that all discussions should take place in the open on the Forum. In that way everyone who is a member of the Forum benefits.

It is my decision that all discussions should also take place on this open Forum. Therefore, so that everyone is clear, I wish to announce that I will not answer Upsidedown's PM. Instead, I will await, on this Forum for Upsidedown's reply. Like many here on the Forum, it is our sincere desire to help Upsidedown reach his new camera decision. Thus it is my intent to keep all of this discussion out in the open on the Community Forum.

The next step is entirely up to Upsidedown!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:28 PM   #14

OK. There is really no case to plead. Mtclimber provided some beautiful photos and some interesting comments.

She specifically asked if I was paying attention and here is the reply I PM'd her.

I have paid a lot of attention, and have taken a lot of pictures in my life. Your photos are wonderful without a doubt and you clearly show that in the right hands many cameras are capable of taking wonderful pictures.

That being said, I think if you read my posts you will see that I am struggling with compromises. I believe that a number of cameras will take very high quality pictures...and I did say in my posts that I tend to take very varied images. From kids running around and playing to scenic shots on my many backpacking and family camping trips.

I also know that many cameras will suit my needs. Things that I believe are important are quality of photos (but as I already said many cameras will fill that need), ergonimics, ability to be used in a variety of situations (thus my quest for a SZ), and fast to capture the right moments with kids (and thus my allure with dSLRs).

I know it is unrealistic to get one camera that serves all scenarios well, and I will need to make tradeoffs and compromises. However the purpose of these boards is to get input and perspectives (of which you have many).

However, I do think you are a bit smug. Not just to my post but to many responses you make in this board. Again, your responses with photos are great. But I think for me and many others who post here, the questions go beyond the specific photos.

I look forward to your future posts.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:24 AM   #15

Upsidedown-

Well that is fair. If it is indeed your choice to ignore all of the already posted photos which were pretty darned good. I will play along with you. It is your "cake" Upsidedown. It is up to you to direct this thread from now on. I will just sit back and observe for a bit!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:58 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Sarah I'm afraid I can't keep silent on this issue any longer.

The photos you post at the resolution you post them tell people NOTHING about the camera. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Snapshots of your husband don't help. Bright daylight snapshots of a cruise ship don't help. Any camera can take that kind of picture. We all know that so give it a rest eh?

Your pics are usually resized to around 600x400 = 0.24Mp resized down from 6-12Mp. Unless someone actively goes out of their way to buy the worst no-name brand of camera they can find on ebay they will be able to take pictures like the ones you post here.

That's why Steve does his reviews. If the OP wants sample pictures from different cameras that's where he should look.

Frankly the fact that you don't seem to know this and end up being abusive when the OP tries to politely ignore you is astonishing for someone who is a "professional digital camera instructor".
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:05 AM   #17
Super Moderator

OK, I'm closing this thread as it is off topic now and we are not being overly constructive any longer.

When it comes to showing camera/lens quality, reduced shots don't work, we need to see the full and then a 100% crop to back it up as I can even make shots from my iPhone look almost acceptable LOL.

Can everyone please remember that emotions can run high when only using a text based system as it is easy to get the wrong idea from what someone might or might not say as we are losing out on the body language, facial expressions etc!!

Let's keep things friendly and positive. That doesn't mean that we can't critique and give constructive advice as we all need this to improve our shooting and to learn more but remember behind what is written is a real person with real feelings.

Upsidedown,I know this is your thread and suggest picking up where things left off in a new one and hopefully you will soon be able to make a decision and you can start sharing your shots with us all.

Happy shooting,

Mark (wearing his mean moderator hat LOL )
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote