Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:02 AM   #1

Dear all, 5D has 36 x 24mm sensor & 1D has 28.7 x 18.7mm sensor, why does 1D cost $1000 more? Is it worth for $1000? Thanks!
mak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It depends, I have both and use them for different things.

What do you want to shoot, is it for fun or going further than that. What lenses are you looking at getting?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:43 PM   #3

Hey, Mak,

Did you buy a 5D or you were just thinking about it?

I have neither of the cameras you mentioned. However, I think that the more expensive of the two has amuch, much faster burst mode (10 FPS), which is important for sports photograhy. The newer version of that camera also has resolution of about 22 megapixels, versus the 5D's 12 megapixels.

I met an 5D owner abouta year ago. I had a little Fuji superzoom in my hands and was trying to snap a shot of my parents' home across a lake from a distance of about 2800 meters. I paid the guy 10 bucks to do the same with his camera and giant, expensive zoom lens. The picture I got from him was incredibly sharp and detailed.

Both are good cameras. If you want to take lots of action shots, the Mark III might be a better choice.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

robbo wrote:
Quote:
Hey, Mak,

Did you buy a 5D or you were just thinking about it?
I've had the 5D for about 18 months and the 1D MkIII (he is not asking about the 1Ds MkIII which isa whole lot more again) for about 5 months.

The 5D is my main portrait camera and primary wedding camera. The MkIII is my primary sports camera and I use it in weddings as my 2nd camera with a longer lens on (generally the 70-200mm f2.8).

The 5D does have the higher res and as it has the larger sensor you can more easily create narrow dof (depth of field), however it is only 3 fps continuous shooting. The mkIII has better high ISO handling, better AF, faster continuous shooting at 10 fps and it is a much nicer handling camera.... oh and it is weather proof. I love minebut it doesn't get used as much as the 5D as I truly love the results from that for day to day shooting. The 5D creates results similar to Fuji Velvia film which I like a lot straight out of the camera.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:45 AM   #5

Thanks, Mark,

It sounds like you lknow both cameras very well. I was addressing my question to the OP, mak. Recently he had another post which led me to believe that he had bought the 5D, but now I am not sure.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6

Dear robbo & Mark1616,
Thank you so much for your advices!
After I went through the research on what camera should I buy, I had decided to wait for the Next Generation of 5D. Because the current 5D has slow shutter speed only 3fps, no dust cleaning for the sensor and an 2.5" LCD.

Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Try the Nikon D700 - you might like that.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:16 AM   #8

Thanks! After reading several post, I think Canon has better chips than Nikon. I will keep waiting, if canon doesn't publish the NEW 5D by next March, I will consider the Nikon D700. Thanks for your advices!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:06 AM   #9

mak15 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! After reading several post, I think Canon has better chips than Nikon. I will keep waiting, if canon doesn't publish the NEW 5D by next March, I will consider the Nikon D700. Thanks for your advices!
Better in what way?? There really aren't any reviews on the D700 yet as it is still very new. If you're talking about noise handling, Canon may have a slight advantage. this definitely used to be the case, but the gap has narrowed significantly in the most recent generation of sensors. A lot also depends on what type of shooting you generally do as to which may be the better cam.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote