Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:18 PM   #1

i have a canon powershot a60 and a crappy fujifilm forgot the name and i want a new camera.

the a60 takes phenominal 2 megapixels pictures and is a great camera all around.

i want something new and i will probably spend 300-400 dollars.

i want a camera that takes good pictures and has at least a 6x zoom optical and good colors and does not get alot of purple lines as i zoom in and none of that fading around the corners.

and the video has to be at least a 640x480 at least at 30fps and great battery life.

even if its 4 megapixels thats fine i just want not a decent but a GREAT camera.

any suggestions??
carlsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:45 PM   #2

The Canon A650IS is one of the best compact cameras you can buy. It has Canon's DIGIC III processor, a large sensor good for low light, 6x optical zoom, a swivel LCD, full manual controls and runs on 4 AA batteries. Quoting from Steve's review:

Quote:
Bottom line - Canon continues its streak with yet another outstanding addition to the PowerShot "A" series line. The A650 IS offers style, versatility, excellent image quality, not to mention some of the best specs for any camera in this class. With the new bigger zoom, increased resolution, and addition of Canon's OIS system, the Canon PowerShot A650 IS is definitely worth a look. With a MSRP of US$399, we feel that the A650 IS offers a great value for such a capable digicam.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:12 PM   #3

I strongly second that Andy. I have compared the sharpness in Steve's sample pictures and the A650 seems to be sharper than MOST of the DSLR and all of the point and shoot. It is a fine choice for Digiscoping in that it has a bayonet mount on the camera body.Check out some of my posts on Digiscoping. Gene Smith
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:57 PM   #4

i saw that camera your talking about and read alot about it and it seems that as soon as you make the ISO higher the pictures get alot of noise, i'm looking soe something with very little noise in a little darker situations.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:57 PM   #5

Point and shoot cameras are not great at low light shooting. They are, at best, fair at ISO 800 and poor at anything higher than that. The Canon A650IS (and the similar G9) are among the best point and shoot cameras available (including at low light). If you want to do better at low light shooting, you'll have to look to the Fuji S100fs (a $700 bridge camera) or a DSLR.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:23 AM   #6

Carl-

I must honestly admit that I too was a bit reluctant. New cameras had arrived on the market, and I thought that (quite erronously) I could find something cheaper and better. At first I tried the Nikon P-80 and it was less than I had hoped for. Next I tried the Kodak Z1012. Once again it was good, but not quite as good as I thought my photos should really be.

Finally I decided that I would pay the price and opt for the most (at least in its class) camera out there, the Sony H-50. The Sony did not disappoint. It met that Image Quality that I had been looking for in my photos.

Please keep in mind that this is only a very low quality example of what the photo that I obtained Sony H-50 really looked like. But I was pleased with the result.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7

Carl,

Please keep in mind that I cannot post a full resolution copy of my photo due to the restraints of this website. Therefore I am depending on you to imagine this photo in its full resolution. The photo taken with the Sony H-50 a 9 mp digicam that is rather amazing in its photo quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:11 AM   #8

i was looking around and they said that the best quality forthe price is the Canon PowerShot A590 IS

and the best for low light and the best features,ecc ecc is the Fujifilm FinePix F100fd
\

also i recently saw a samsung nv24 and saw what kind of pictures it takes and they are beatiful but some places say that there is to much noise in the iso 400 range.

also these cameras with the rechargable battery aren't so good for the fact that you need to recharge it and if you don't have a spare then you need to stop taking pictures and wait till you can recharge it.

any suggestions??? also i wouldn't want a camera that is a huge one like the sony that was suggested also i don't want a super small one but a normal one sort of like the size of the canon powershots.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:27 PM   #9

Carl-

If you don't need the added zoom, the Canon A-590 IS does indeed lead the pack with value, and image quality. Another high value camera is the Panasonic LZ-8 which has 5X optical zoom. Steve has done reviews on both cameras.

Sarah Joyce