Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:35 PM   #11

Wow Sarah Joyce...thank you so much! I have to say that they are all very good (I'm pretty impressed with the Kodak). I'm going to sleep on it for tonight, and will look over the photos again tomorrow. I'll also take a closer look at the Kodak. Thanks again for posting all of them!

Sidenote...I think I'm jealous of your back yard!
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:45 PM   #12

Thanks for your nice comments, Michelle-

My husband and I have been married for 51 years with 8 children, 15 grand children and 2 great grand children. We probably have the ultimate gig for retired folks. We teach on cruise ships around the world. In short, our 5 part syllabus is designed to teach our fellow passengers how to get the very best photos from their digital cameras in exotic locations around the world.

Sleep on your decision. That is a great idea. I am like you, Michelle, the Kodak Z-1012 has a lot of bang for the buck, great built-in flash performance, and best of all it is very easy to use on a day to day basis.Here is another Kodak Z-1012 sample photo taken under a very overcast sky with auto WB. Your will notice that the Z-1012 just nailed the WB very precisely.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:39 PM   #13

Well, I slept on it...I even went to Best Buy again and tried out cameras. It's confirmed...I don't like the Sony, it's just not comfortable for me. It's disappointing because I really thought I'd like it. I also tried the Kodak and that one didn't feel right to me either (partly because of the lever zoom control). Of course, I also played with the Nikon again...I still really love how it handles and how it feels in my hand.

So, I'm in the same place I was yesterday...P80 or FZ18? Thinking about price only, either can be had for about the same $$ (FZ18 a little less). Speaking of the price of the FZ18...I can't understand why it's gone up in the last week or so, I thought it would be going down. I did read on Vann's web site that the FZ28 was going to become available on Aug. 12...maybe once it's officially available the FZ18's price will drop (I'm hoping).

Here's another question...do you have an opinion on which, FZ18 or P80, takes better macro shots? Judging by your friend's photo of the tulips, which is beautiful, I'm wondering if the FZ18 is better.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:00 PM   #14

Michelle-

If the price shift follow their normal pattern, the new Panasonic FZ-28 will not show much of a decrease from its full list price for approximately 6 months after its introduction. I apologize for having to give you that distressing news.

That leaves you with the Nikon P-80 ultra-zoom. It is not a bad camera at all. In actual practice, I determined that it actually produces the very best image quality and WB when used in the Auto Mode. That might be a real plus for you.

So that is not a bad choice at all, providing you will be accepting. The lens on the P-80 is pleasantly sharp, if you are willing to work with the camera a bit, it will provide good results. However, I want you to keep in mind that the Nikon P-80 does have a somewhat longer learning curve than say the Kodak Z-1012. It takes some getting used to, to get the results that you are expecting. I am going to be honest with you and not put an added layer of candy on the apple.

And yes, I do indeed own the Nikon P-80. Even though, as a digital camera instructor, I have a good deal of experience, the Nikon P-80, which I purchased right before a 3.5 months contract teaching digital cameras on cruise ships. However, the P-80 put me to the test. We finally became friends, but it took a couple of weeks.

Here is a photo sample from the Nikon P-80 for you to review from late in my learing curve. It is a photo of my husband Bradley, taken using the Nikon P-80's built-in flash. I found the Sony H-50 and the Kodak Z-1012 cameras much easier to connect with and to obtain good quality photos from rather quickly on a consistent basis.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:20 AM   #15

Sarah,

Excellent photo of your husband. I especially notice his eyes are not red. Did you use any in-camera or post processing to correct red-eye, or does the P-80 not create the problem?

Curious, because my G9 can be a problem with re-eye.

thanks,
Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:21 PM   #16

Dennis-

That is one of the virtues of the Nikon P-80. It will ocassionally produce red-eye. However, generally speaking red-eye is not a problem with the built-in flash on the P-80. Another side note: I was not using the red-eye reduction feature on the P-80 when I took this particular photo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:26 AM   #17

So what is the answer? Im trying to decide between the Lumix FZ18 and the Nikon P80, and by the looks of it they both have their advantages. it seems as though adapters are much easier to get for the lumix lens than the nikon. Also how important is it to have that raw format option. Someone told me that the nikon renders colour better, is that true?
I really dont know which to choose. Im inclined to go Nikon, just because they seem to be the better name but that panasonic looks really good, not to mention it is cheaper.
PLEASE HELP!
trash12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:18 AM   #18

Hi Trash-

Michelle has never let us know what her decision finally was. Perhaps I can help a bit as I own both the Panasonic FZ-18 and the Nikon P-80. To begin, let's look at each individually.

The FZ-18 is an excellent camera, but it still has a hard time at high at high ISO settings. It appears that problem will be addressed by its replacement, the FZ-28. The FZ-28 is slated to have the new Venus 4 processor. The FZ-18 has the Venus 3 processor. However, the current price of the FZ-18 has fallen to around $(US) 300.00 making it a very good buy. If I recall correctly, the FZ-28 will arrive on the dealer's shelves about the middle of September 2008.

The Nikon P-80 take some adapting as it has (at least for me) a somwhat longer learning curve. The color is very good indeed and the lens is pleasantly sharp. Filters, lens shades and the like are in short supply, and an adapter is required just like the Sony H-50 camera. Size-wise the P-80 is a bit smaller than the FZ-18. Neither camera has a hotshoe. The only ultra zooms with hotshoes are the Olympus SP-570 and the Canon S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:20 AM   #19

I still haven't decided. We had a death in the family and I put my decision aside for a bit.

I think I'm still leaning towards the P80, but I'm waiting to see if the FZ18 price drops soon...so far it hasn't. I'll wait until this weekend (we're having a tax free weekend in MA) and see what happens. I'm also going to call around and see if I can find someone who still has the FZ18 in stock so I can try it...that would really help me decide I think.

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:15 PM   #20

Hi Michelle-

Many thanks for the follow-up on your camera search. The Panasonic FZ-18 is a very well received camera and it has many enthusiastic users. With the FZ-28 coming soon to the dealer's shelves with the improved Venus 4 processor, there is a lot of pressure to sell out the remaining inventory of FZ-18 cameras. I think that is why the FZ-18 is getting more difficult to find.

The Nikon P-80 still being quite new, has not shown much of a decrease in price as of August. The camera has been well received.

Good luck, as you continue your camera search.

Sarah Joyce