Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:51 PM   #21

I just received my FZ-18 and love it. The Nikon is a great camera however for me it was too small in my hands for a superzoom like the bigger FZ-18. The FZ-28 will be another great camera however as Mtclimber has stated will be awhile before we see a price drop. I got my FZ18 for around $340 that included a pakage deal of a extra battery, a camera bag, and a 2GB memory card. If the FZ-28 is better than the FZ-18 then we are really in for something special. I did not want to wait for the price on the FZ-28 to go down so got the FZ-18 and will wait for the reviews then may get the FZ-28. However in my mind you would not go wrong with eitherNikon or Panosonicboth have their own pros and cons and both are great cameras.

Take mtclimber advice she steered me in the right direction good luck in your choice and keep us posted.

Safariman
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:06 PM   #22

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I would have thought the FZ18's price would drop now that the FZ28 is available, but it has actually gone up somewhat in the last week or so. That seems like a good deal that you got. May I ask where you got it?

MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:17 PM   #23

Amazon.com has the FZ18 for $292.99 plus shipping. If you add an extra battery (a very good idea), you can get the whole package for $298.62. That's a good deal.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:31 PM   #24

Thanks Andy...I hadn't checked Amazon yet today! Vann's also has it for $299...not too bad! I also found one in stock at a fairly local Ritz Camera that I didn't know existed. I'm hoping to get there this weekend to try it out...they're still selling at full price though so I won't be purchasing it from them.
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:01 PM   #25

Michelle-

I have spent about a week creating a Flash Tutorial for the Canon S-5. I must say that after using that camera again that I cannot help but be impressed by it. Without a doubt it is most probably one of the very best ultra-zooms (12X Optical zoom) in the market. It is due to be replaced sometime in the next 30 days, so its price has comparatively fallen to around the $(US) 310.00 level. And, though it may not be important to everyone, the Canon S-5 also has a nice hotshoe for an external flash.

That may indeed be a bit less zoom than you might desire, but the IQ is amazingly good, and that is a very important benchmark for me. To complete the tutorial, I have been using our Canon XT (350D model), the Canon G-7 and the Canon S-5, and I must say that the IQ on the S-5 is amazing. Here is a photo sample. It is a photo of my husband Bradley.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:20 PM   #26

I ordered both a FZ 18 and a TZ 5 through Vanns.com. The package deal with the bag, memory card and the extra battery was an excellent deal. Really love the FZ 18 ablity to be both a Point and Shoot but still able to switch to manual controls as well.

Safariman
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:35 AM   #27

Thanks for all your help. I think Im definately leaning towards the Lumix. Also how important is the RAW format. Is it quite useful? Because I dont think the Nikon has it. Im not too worried about difficulty of use. I dont mind having to learn how to use the camera, Thanks again
trash12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:00 AM   #28

Trash-

The Raw format has its supporters. It creates an entirely different work flow as each photo must be post processed. However, it essentially allows you to, in part, "re-shoot" the photo during the post processing phase. Depending on the photo editing software being used, very basic elements such as WB, and exposure can be adjusted rather easily. Does it excel what you can do with normal photo editing on a .jpeg format photo, that is where the opinions seem to differ.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:17 AM   #29

Ok, thanks. I see that amazon has two different ones, the FZ18EB and the FZ18. is there any difference or are they both exactly the same model?
trash12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:47 AM   #30

Trash-

I cannot find the FZ-18FEB at http://www.amazon.com.

Sarah Joyce