Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:10 AM   #31

The only thing I could find about the FZ 18EB is possible a UK version of the FZ 18 does not look to be any different in specs then the FZ 18.

Safariman
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:57 PM   #32

Here's a review for the FZ18 that might help explain how RAW images can help improve the shots you take.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...8/fz18-gen.php

The hot shoe of the S5 could be an important factor in getting quality images. The FZ18 does not have a hot shoe. Small image sensor digicams struggle in low light to produce quality images. An external flash can make a big difference, if you are willing to pay the money and carry the flash with you. It could cost more than the camera to get a good quality, fairly powerful Canon flash. Most recommend the 430EX model, because it offers good power and good bounce flash capabilities. You might be able to find the older 420EX for a lot less, and still have a very good flash.

Here's a review of the S5 IS from the same site above;

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s5is/s5-gen.php

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:36 PM   #33

Thanks for the post, Dennis-

At least for me, that hot shoe on the Canon S-5 camera is a REALLY HUGE advantage. I would like to share an experience with you. Last fall we were on a cruise ship contract with the Panasonic FZ-18 camera and a very good slave flash.

Good friends of ours, who are a very talented professional dancing couple asked us to do a series of promo photos for them. Those shots were a total bust because I could not generate sufficient flash power with the slave flash and the FZ-18. Yes, I provided photos. Andre and Francine did not yell too loudly, but they, just as I was, were very unhappy with the photos. No, I did not have a DSLR and an external flash with me on that contract. I was embarrassed!

That would not have happened to me, had I taken the Canon S-5 camera and the powerful EX-420 or EX-430 flash with me. Yes the FZ-18 is a good camera and I am sure that the Panasonic FZ-28 will be even better. But neither the FZ-18 nor the FZ-28 has a hotshoe for a good external flash. And folks, sometimes you really need the light generated by an external flash. Take my word for it please, I have been doing this for 54 years and everything is based upon light.

There is no magic. You cannot just wave a magic wand and have all the light that you really need every time. Sometimes you really need an external flash, so that is what makes the Canon S-5 so valuable. Folks, not everything can be taken under existing light conditions, hoping that you will get the photo that you really need.

Yes, I am pretty demanding, I have taught photography for 25 years. Perhaps I want more than some folks out there enjoying their digital cameras. But if we pass up what a REAL ADVANTAGE the hot shoe is to the Canon S-5 we have not told you the whole story about getting the photo that you really need.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:55 AM   #34

UPDATE:

I thought I'd let yeveryone know that I decided on the P80! I ordered it today from Amazon with all the extras I needed, except a spare battery...the one from Amazon was going to take 2-3 weeks to ship. I'll just pick one up locally.

Thanks for all of your help!
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:22 PM   #35

Congratulations, Michelle-

You will enjoy the Nikon P-80. Take some picture and post them. Enjoy your new baby.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:54 PM   #36

I'm really excited (and relieved to have finally made a decision)!

Thanks again for all of your help Sarah Joyce...I really appreciated it!
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Michelle-

I have spent about a week creating a Flash Tutorial for the Canon S-5. I must say that after using that camera again that I cannot help but be impressed by it. Without a doubt it is most probably one of the very best ultra-zooms (12X Optical zoom) in the market. It is due to be replaced sometime in the next 30 days, so its price has comparatively fallen to around the $(US) 310.00 level. And, though it may not be important to everyone, the Canon S-5 also has a nice hotshoe for an external flash.

That may indeed be a bit less zoom than you might desire, but the IQ is amazingly good, and that is a very important benchmark for me. To complete the tutorial, I have been using our Canon XT (350D model), the Canon G-7 and the Canon S-5, and I must say that the IQ on the S-5 is amazing. Here is a photo sample. It is a photo of my husband Bradley.

Sarah Joyce
The things you see when you ain't got your gun eh?
SanTelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:57 AM   #38

You're invited to crawl back under your rock
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote