Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:38 PM   #11

carpcosmetic-

OK, changing the lighting in the spa area or the treatment rooms is not an option, I will accept that. However, there must be some kind of lighting in the spa are or treatment room. Can you describe what that lighting might be? And does it vary from area to area, or is it consistent?

For the sake of our discussion, let's assume there is some ambient light. When there is some level of ambient light, the camera does not depend totally on the flash for its illumination, and the photographic results are less harsh and more acceptable to your patients.

As an experiment today, I telephoned my neighbor and asked her to come over and to take some photos for me. I used my neighbor, as I wanted to use a person who was not really familiar with the Sony H-50 camera. I gave her a 2 minute briefing and then was able to produce these photos. They are done quickly with an inexperienced photographer, but using the H-50 camera with the camera's own built-in flash.

You must keep in mind that the resolution of all photos posted here in the Forum must be greatly reduced in resolution tobe able to post them onthe Forum. They are only intended to give you an approximation. Viewed in their original 9mp resolution, they would be of course be much sharper, more detailed.

I will still need my lighting questions answered, but perhaps some actual photos will move the discusion along more effectively.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:41 PM   #12

carpcosmetic-

Here is the right hand side of my face.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:43 PM   #13

carpcosmetic-

Here is the left hand side of my face.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:10 PM   #14

yes, ambient incadenscent can lighting is all that exists. I need to have shadowless photos

Also to clarify, w ould need to get some closer images , perhaps I do need macro
carpcosmetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:13 PM   #15

We do use blue screen backgrounds. It looks like those pictures have alot more room light, perhaps even exterior sun light as well?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:36 PM   #16

carpcosmetic-

The pictures were taken on the fly, as a purely volunteer effort,in my own home, just to help this discussion along. I have no facilities for theblue background technique, perhaps you can understand that I was just dealing with what I could bring to this discussion on something of an instant time basis. Of course, you can move in a good deal closer, that would not be a problem at all. However, the bottomline is simply this: you know what you want and, it would appear, you want to craft a rather wel defined custom solution.

Here is a pragamatic suggestion: Why not order and try a Sony H-50 from a retailer like http://www.amazon.com that has a bullet proof 30 day return policy with no restocking charges at all. That way you will have a full 30 days at no risk to see if this less expensive solution might provide the photos that you desire. In that way you can try it with patients, your staff members, your own unique lighting situations, and you can evaluate the results without any cost to you. If it does not work, go for the DSLR solution which I can personally guarantee will be most costly financially.

I apologize that my photos were not of much use to you, but they were made available to you, in the spirit of being helpful and attempting to save you some money,at no cost to youand without any effort on your part.

Good luck in crafting your custom solution.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:36 PM   #17

Double posting!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:47 PM   #18

carpcosmetic wrote:
Quote:
We shoot full face from multiple views. Need to have good detail, do not want to soften image. These, of course, are not portrait head shots, but to document the skin. Shooting distance would be the same, I would think depends on the camera/lens.
What kind of photos are you trying to take?

Yes, I know Medical photos of the face. But what kind of medical photos? Purpose? Document the skin for what purpose? Before and after type photographs? Orfor trackingconditionsincluding precancerious growths? How much detail is really needed?

Even needing to track skin growths can be done with a simple P&S camera. My dermatologist uses a simple 3MB P&S and a quarter held next to the skin surface (for scale) to track moles and other growths. Like I said a simple camera does a pretty good job.

Way back when, long before digital cameras, I worked in the hospital lab. Our forensic pathologist was taking photos for medical evidence during criminal trials with the mostbasic 35mm camera with built-in flash. Nothing fancy. Keep it simple so any idiot can make the camera work. Any nobody was complaining (well maybe the defendant was) about the quality of the gruesome photos when they were blown up to poster size displays.

A camera is a tool. A mighty fine tool. The camera does not have to be expensive or complex to take good quality photos. That said, if you have the need to take really close up photos (such as precancerous growths in full frame size) then you will really need to consider a dSLR with a really great macro lens and complex lighting. Otherwise I would seek a basic P&S, like the previously mentioned Sony.... take a look at the reviews.

Here is a link to a full size photo taken from a simple $200 Kodak camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...s/100_0067.JPG

We can play a game called "count her eyelash hairs" if you would like.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:08 PM   #19

I appreciate your help