Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:50 AM   #11

mihir-

Thanks for the post. The Canon S-5 is an excellent all around camera that provides a lot of value at it current price. It is due to be replaced soon. An announcement of the replacement for the S-5 will probably be announced in the next 30 days or so. When that replacement is announced, that may push the Canon S-5 to an even lower price.

The Panasonic FZ-28 has been announced, but it has not yet reached the dealer's shelves her in the USA. The specifications indicate that it will have a Venus 4 processor, which should make it a more able camera.

The Sony H-9 has now been replaced by the Sony H-50. The H-50 seems to have overcome many of the complaints that were heard about the H-9. The twin of the H-9, the H-7 seemed to have more popularity than the H-9 itself.

You might want to wait and see what replaces the Canon S-5 because that will happen within 30 days. I have attached a Caon S-5 sample photo for you, as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:29 PM   #12

If I can belatedly drop into this thread.... I've just been trawling the forum to see if my question/s have been answered elsewhere rather than start a new thread.

I've been considering the FZ-18, the S5 IS and the H 50 and feel as though I'm going around in circles, because most reviews consider them all pretty good cameras - for what they are - but there's always an element of subjectivity in there as well.

All fo the super zooms suffer from noise and problems from low ISO, but a DSLR isn't an option atm.

Given this, am I safe to assume that all of the above cameras have similar issues with noise etc and comparable image quality and that my choice should come down to what other features I want?

Initially it will be used for my upcoming trip to Africa in six weeks where shooting at low ISO shouldn't be a problem. After that it will be all sorts of things - outdoor/scenic, 'artistic'/patterns etc.

However, I would also like to be able to use the camera in low light situations, e.g. indoor pics of friends (I guess that's where the Canon's hotshoe might come in handy to be able to use a secondary flash?) - but also evening shots (tripod to the rescue?)

The Canon's ability to take video clips with stereo sound is quite appealing, especially for fun clips of friends DJing, parties etc but that's not my priority and I'm put off by the fact the Canon zoom doesn't go any wider than 35mm.

As I said earlier, I know that the super zooms can't tick all the boxes and compromises have been made.

I will work my way (back to) the SLR - this time digital. I have a Canon EOS 630 buried somewhere back in Australia so I guess if I want to be quaint I could dig that out as a second camera, assuming it's still operational.

Your feedback is very welcome :-)

cheers
Karen
p.s. the FZ-28 is due here in the UK sometime this month but not sure it will be out long enough for me to see a review it before I need to buy a camera to go away!
spacekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:34 PM   #13

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Except of course that the only way that those cameras are "SLR-like" is that they look like them.

In every other respect they are "SLR-unlike".
well even tho i agree to a certain point .. they are not completely slr-unlike

if you consider olympus sp550/560/570 or fuji s100fs they are very slr like, only smaller sensor and well no pentamirror, they sure do operate like digital cameras more then slr's

but they offer great flexibility compared to compact digital cameras and many functions found on slrs can be found on them.

japanese manufacturers sure are manufacturing those models for good reasons and one of them is absolutely tempting the advanced shooter to get one of their dslr's.

alot of features that can't be found on smaller digital cameras. like super wide to tele lenses gives great variety of photographic possibilities, bulb function, priority or full manual modes can be found on these cameras which otherwise belong to the dslr/slr realm. they often have accessories like remote shutter controls, available tele/wide conversion lenses, raw shooting mode, etc. etc.

of course the more serious looks is another thing that attracts alot of consumers too.

i bought an olympus sp-550 uz a few months ago and in only 1 or 1.5months i was so tempted to go with a dslr that i couldnt stop myself and got a dslr as well.

i use my sp550 alot less now but nevertheless it gives me great flexibility and saves me from carrying a whole case of lenses flashes extra batteries etc.
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:02 PM   #14

spacekitten wrote:
Quote:
Initially it will be used for my upcoming trip to Africa in six weeks After that it will be all sorts of things - outdoor/scenic, 'artistic'/patterns etc.

Great trip. Fantastic location for some long distance shots.

And in the middle of the wilderness your camera goes dead because of Battery Failure.

Oops.

Which camera that is on your list uses propriatary rechargeable batteries and when camera uses AA batteries (rechargeable or disposable) ? Would you have access to additional batteries or power to recharge your batteries?

How many shots can be achieved with a fully charged battery or fresh AA's? Does the used of the video screen cause a drain from the batteries? Can the video screen be shut down? Can you readily purchase an extra Lithium-Ion battery for the trip and will the battery hold the charge?

The Panny FZ-18 uses Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries, 28-504 zoom and weighs 407 grams with batteries.

The Canon S-5 uses AA batteries (rechargebables allowed), 38-432 zoom and weighs 550 grams with batteries.

The Sony H-50 use Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries, 31-465 zoom and weighs 547 grams with batteries.

Notice, of the 3, only the Canon uses AA batteries, it also much heavier than the Panny and the lenshas less wide angle and shorter zoom. But the Canon is a great camera.

Personally I would get the Panny (or the new Panny if it hits the market before your trip). I like the Panny grip and control positions. The weight is MUCH better than the competition and the longer zoom might prove useful. And extra Lithium-Ion batteries are available.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:56 AM   #15

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I am planning on taking a 2nd lithium batthery if I go with the Panasonic, and the safari vehicles have inverters where we can plug stuff in. I will also make sure that I have the correct adaptor to use (i.e. with a UK to SA plug).

I've done a Google search on the FZ-28 and it seems it is already available in the UK so guess I need to check my budget now...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:09 AM   #16
Super Moderator

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
spacekitten wrote:
Quote:
Initially it will be used for my upcoming trip to Africa in six weeks After that it will be all sorts of things - outdoor/scenic, 'artistic'/patterns etc.

And in the middle of the wilderness your camera goes dead because of Battery Failure.

Oops.
LOL and in the wilds of Africayou just find AA batteries growing on Acacia trees?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:53 PM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
spacekitten wrote:
Quote:

Oops.
LOL and in the wilds of Africayou just find AA batteries growing on Acacia trees?
Nope, the bulk pack of AA Bunny Batteries (Ever-ready)that I would buyat the discount members club store. BTW, it is called PLANNING, something I am not good at because all of my cameras have Lithium-Ion batteries in stupid propriatary designs.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:38 AM   #18

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
Nope, the bulk pack of AA Bunny Batteries (Ever-ready)that I would buyat the discount members club store. BTW, it is called PLANNING, something I am not good at because all of my cameras have Lithium-Ion batteries in stupid propriatary designs.
convenience of AA versus cost-savings over time of the rechargeables :-)
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:31 PM   #19

spacekitten wrote:
Quote:
StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
AAs come as rechargeables too. The Sanyo eneloop NiMH AA's are highly rated, and hold their charge for quite some time.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:08 PM   #20

denncald wrote:
Quote:
spacekitten wrote:
Quote:
StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
AAs come as rechargeables too. The Sanyo eneloop NiMH AA's are highly rated, and hold their charge for quite some time.

Dennis
Rechargables only work if you have electricity. I have already done thewhole "Hurricane without electricity and my Lithium-Ion battery is dead routine" and vowed to buy a camera that would accept AA's. Of course my next camera to buy wasKM-5D using propriatary Lithum-Ion batteries so you can never really trust my planning very well.

I see Gustav is heading to the Gulf of Mexico. Think it is time to go buy a camera... just in case. I KNOW this one will use AA's.