Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:40 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the advice!
rawrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:31 PM   #12

60mm f/2.8 USM macro and 70-200 f/4 L USM are my most used indoor/outdoor portrait lenses, sometimes 50mm f/1.8 MkII (don't really like the build and AF hunts a lot, but IQ is good when you nail the focus, bokeh sucks though). Mind you, I mainly shoot kids portraits and prefer to keep my distance. For senior portraits you may need/want a wider lens and an off-camera flash is a must (better 2-3 with stands and umbrellas). Kit lens is worth getting, but 40D sells with 3 different kit lenses in different places: 18-55 IS, 17-85 USM IS and 28-135 USM IS. The last one is a bit long on a crop body, but I use 28-105mm USM as my walk around/candid shots lens for more than a year and quite like it.
just my 2p. worth
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:23 PM   #13

Okay thanks again for the advice....I did get the 40d. Now it is time for the newb questions.
Is the a list of things to do when you first get your DSLR? What I have come up with is:
Do a firmware update. Is this difficult?

Install software. Which software is critical to install. I see three cd roms that came with the package but I guess I do not need to download all three. The solutions disks looks to me to be the must download one. Am i guessing right?

Register my camera with Canon. I did this on the website which I assume is sufficient?

Can anyone think of anything else I am missing before I loose myself in the camera? I can tell I have a lot of learning to do even though I am familiar with the Canon user interfaces.

I did get the small things...UV lens filter for cheap protection, new equipment bag, compact flash card 4g, ... etc.

I will be purchasing another lens at some point soon. More than likely the Tamron 17-50mm.

Thanks a ton
Robert

rawrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:50 AM   #14

Congratulations, Robert, have fun with your new toy :-)
As the CDs go, you only need to install the digital solution disk, this will give you all the software you need to download images to your PC, convert Raw files and do a lot of other things.
The second disk contains manuals and the 3rd is promo of Canon products I think.
Now read the camera manual, get to know all the controls and option (there is a lot of them :-)) and start shooting pics.
What lens have you got at the end? 28-135?
The last advice - avoid using cheap UV filters, they can considerably degrade image quality. TBH I only use UV filters when I shoot in really dusty or wet conditions or when I had to cut down excess of UV shooting film. Worked for me for the last 25 years :-), but YMMV.
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:53 AM   #15

Congratulations on your new camera.

The Canon software is the best available for getting photos directly from your computer to a photo organizing application. But you don't actuallyneed that software. If you already have a photo editting application, if you already have a photo organizer, if you already have another digicam (Canon or not), if you already have a card reader, you would probably be better off not installing that software.

When you connect your camera to your computer via a USB port, the computer will recognize the camera as a card reader and treat it as another disk drive, much like it does with flash drives. You can then copy images from your camera to your computer, or even have the computer do it for you automatically, and edit them using the same application you already know, or choose from among the many free or inexpensive photo editting applications available, some of which you may already have. All without installing the software on the Canon CD.

But I beleive this is getting off-topic. Others who might have something to contribute to a discussion on software might not open this topic because it is entitled "Best Lens for Canon 40d".

For the best oppportunity to get input from the broadest audience here, I think you should post another topic in the Editors (Photoshop, etc.)Forum.

And please come back and show us what you've been up to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:21 PM   #16

Yep, agree. I don't use the manufacturer software either. I have different brands of cameras and found the USB connection reading the drive on the camera to be quite simple to use and avoids the problems of having to learn different software from different camera manufactuers.

As far as firmware. The process is fairly simple. Much like downloading a Microsoft patch and restarting the computer except you will need to restart the camera.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote