Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1

I am going to purchase the 40d body, thinking that the kits lens is useless. I am going to be shooting mainly outdoor potraits(family and senoirs) to help pay for the the new gear. Also I would like to be able to shoot indoors with out a flash(I will purchase one eventually). And of course at some point a nice zoom for wild life is on the wish list.

Here are my questions:

1. What is a good lens that I can do most of this with? If not one lens which two would work.A good zoom and a good fast low light?

2. Is the kits lens worth getting for the little extra cost and would it be able to do any of the above shooting?

3. What is the best/inexpensive flash that could help in these shooting environments?

Thank you for your responses ahead of time. Exact names and model numbers would be helpful for my googlin. I have read a lot and consider myself a novice so I should be able to follow your advice and opinions.

Robert
rawrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:51 PM   #2

Robert-

I am sorry to say it but in my opinion you have conflicting requirements. Outdoors where you have plenty of light you could easily get by with one of the "all in one" lens options like the Tamron 18-250mm lens. One factor that will determine what single purpose lens might work best for you will be how much zoom you need.

However, indoors without flash you are going to need a wide aperture, bright lens. There are a number of flash possibilities for the 40D. However, again IMO, the Canon Flashes have better build quality and seem to be more durable. I still use my old EX-420, that I purchased 7 years ago for my Canon G-1 on my Canon 20D. One of the factors that plays into a flash choice is how much power or light are you looking for? The EX-430 might serve your purposes nicely, but if you want power, then a choice might be the EX-580.

People seem to vary on how they feel about kit lenses. I have a Canon 18-55mm lens, a typical kit lens, but it does not get used very much at all.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:59 PM   #3

The kit lens is actually worth getting. It will work well forfamily portraits since you'll be in the f8-f22 range anyway for those. And the newer model of kit lens being sold with the 40d is actually pretty good.

For shallow-DOF portrait shots the 85mm 1.8 is nice, as is the 50mm 1.4. The choice depending on whether you will be doing more full-body portraits or 2/3 & head shots.

The indoor lens depends ENTIRELY on what you want to shoot and in what environment. Those two factors will determine the necessary focal length and aperture needed. The lens you get for #2 above COULD be used indoors depending on your answer here (either lens is fast but your shooting needs and environment will determine if the focal length is correct).

If you're going to be doing portrait work - even outdoors, you're goint to want an external flash as soon as possible. You'll want it for fill-flash & catch-light. I would concur with Sarah - 430ex if you're budget conscious, 580ex if you want power and room to grow.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:01 PM   #4

Thank you both. I guess I will get the kit lens that comes with the 40d, the reviews do give it some credit and if it does not meet my needs I can get faster lens.

This would allow me to get a decent zoom that might be usefulin some potraits?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:55 PM   #5

I use the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for exactly the kinds of shots you describe. The results are very good. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

It goes for $420 at Adorama.com.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:04 PM   #6

Well best buy does have this 40d kit. It comes with the kit lens Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and the Canon - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens.
For 1899.98 that seems like a good deal. I guess it would do good with plenty of daylight for wildlife and kids sports. Does anyone have any thoughts on that lens?

Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:47 PM   #7

Robert-

I own the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. It is an average lens. With an APS-C imager than lens (using the 1.6X crop factor) functionally begins at 42mm, which surely does not provide a wide angle. It might work well for your outdoor portraits in good light.

And I also agree with JohnG about a flash. If budget is a problem start with the EX-430 it a very compact flash and very dependable. I also agree with TCav, the Tamron 17-50mm lens is an excellent lens to have. It really is a nice all around short range lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:40 PM   #8

The 40D has a built-in useable flash. An external flash with adjustable head and more power will give you more creative possibilities.

I have a Tamron 17-50mm too. It's a nice lens.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

If you can find a 17-85 + 70-300 kit then go for that.

The 28-135 is not a focal length range (on the 1.6 crop) that most people would find particularly useful. For some people it is great and suits their style, but the "standard zoom" lens range covers a 35mm equivalent of approximately 28-70 (about 18-55 for crop cameras), often extending a bit at the long end.

The 28-135 was designed to cover that range on 35mm film, the digital equivalent is something like 17-85.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:24 AM   #10

I'll echo others. I forgot the 40d comes with the 28-135. It's a nice lens but on a 1.6 crop body it isn't wide enough for group shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote