Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:51 AM   #1

I have had this camera now for years and would like to upgrade to something a little better and that will do higher resolutions. Below are some dislikes of what I have and what I am looking for, any suggestions are appreciated.

Dislikes
- Time between pictures is slow
- Time to load pictures while viewing is slow
- 640x480 movies are too small
- 4xAA batteries, would like 2xAA
- Small LCD
- Low light images are blurry and poor quality
- Flash oversaturates images

Looking for
- Larger LCD
- Ability to take pictures faster
- Ability to take higher resolution pictures
- 2xAA batteries
- Fast load times while viewing pictures

Not sure how much I want to spend yet but anywhere from $150 - 250 probably.
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:27 AM   #2

Sounds to me like you need to stay with the Canon A series. For $150-$200, you need to be prepared for whatever you choose to do some of those things you want well, but probably not all. $150 is getting close to the floor on what I'd consider good quality digicams.

Of the dislikes you've listed, the ones that may or may not get better are the low-light shots and flash performance. Most all digicams have gotten much faster to both shoot and review (except the Sigma DP1!), many of the current Canon A series cameras use two AA batteries, the LCD's are all bigger and you'll get all the resolution you want.

To get better low light shots in a digicam, you need a bigger sensor and/or faster lens, and both of those cost more than $150-$200 in a digicam.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:34 AM   #3

What would I be looking at spending to get what I want from all the wants/dislikes that I listed? Which would you suggest to get all of what I want, regardless of price but reasonably priced.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:35 AM   #4

snow-

Certainly the Canon A-590 would provide what you are looking for in a new camera. If you desired more zoom, take a look at the Canon A-720 with 6X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:27 AM   #5

SnowPunk98 wrote:
Quote:
What would I be looking at spending to get what I want from all the wants/dislikes that I listed? Which would you suggest to get all of what I want, regardless of price but reasonably priced.
You need to be going to sites like DCResource and DPReview and reading about the current models to see what they do and don't do well. The A590 Sarah suggested is a pretty typical camera, and right in your price range...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...t_a590-review/

It has image stabilization, so you have a better chance of getting good quality images, depending on whether the subjects you are trying to shoot are moving or not. Image stabilization does you no good at all if your shutter speeds are running 1/8 second and you are trying to capture a child running around the room.

For that, you either need good flash performance or a fast lens and good high ISO capability. The A95 you are now using dates back to when digicams provided decent image quality until you ventured beyond something like ISO 100. Today, they are definitely one setting better, but withmany, image qualitystill can start to fall apart by ISO 400. The A590 lens is a fast f2.6 at the wide end which will help a lot, but zoom towards the tele end and it slows way down to f5.1....that's pretty slow to be trying to do anything low light and keep ISO settings down, but a camera that keeps relatively fast apertures through the range are going to set you back from $300 upwards, depending on the model and features.

Even then, most digicams simply don't have large enough sensors and good enough processors to count on being able to get good low light, high ISO images. For subjects like kids' stage shows and such, you are only going to be able to go so far in what a digicam can capture. The non-DSLR digicams capable of coming anywhere near what a DSLR can shoot can cost what a DSLR and a couple of kit lenses cost....just go check out what a Fuji S100fs costs, and it's as big or bigger than most starter DSLR's, but that's about what it takes to do everything you want.....and it does not accept AA batteries.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6

I have been looking at that A590IS and I think it looks pretty good, Newegg has a bundle deal that is the camera with a 8GB SDHC card for $153 which is really good so long as it does what I want it to. I think I will order it and sell my old camera.

Is there anything else you guys would suggest for a little more that would be worth the money? Meaning if I am spending $150 on this A590 is there anything for $200 or $250 that I would really benefit form getting?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:50 AM   #7

For about $215 you can buy the Canon SX100IS, which has a 10x optical zoom. Otherwise it's similar to the A590IS (though it lacks an optical viewfinder).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:04 AM   #8

I have been reading a lot of reviews and trying to make a decision. For only $153 I can get the camera and 8GB card. I am trying to sell my A95 so its very little money to upgrade.

Can anyone else suggest any other cameras that would be far better than the A590 IS for under or around $200?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:13 AM   #9

Yes, Snow-

If you would like 10X optical zoom with IS, full manual and automatic controls. the Kodak Z-712 is now selling for about $(US) 170.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:53 PM   #10

Kodak have always seemed like cheap poor quality cameras, has this changed?