Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:24 AM   #1

Hello all. I am looking for a new Digital Camera. I want to do a lot of video so video is very important (probably more important than the actual picture taking). If I can get something that can do 720p HD movies, that's a plus.

I am not a real photography buff so any decent camera would probably suit my needs.

I currently have a Kodak Z812IS Camera. It does 720p movies which is nice, but the audio quality for the movies is so incredibly bad. Whenever I am in a loud environment the audio distorts where you can't even hear anything. Its really bad. I work in a bar so I want something that can do video, but won't distort my audio.

The other issue I had with this camera was the continuous AF. I would find when shooting video the auto focus would be constantly running so I would get a blurry picture a lot.

I am looking at the Panasonic DMC-FX35 which may fit the bill. I just don't want to buy a camera to take it to the bar to find out my audio will distort like my 812 does.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and I want to move down in form factor. I thought I wouldn't mind the size of the 812 but at this point I would prefer something I can just slip into my pocket. Thanks in advance.
DjPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:26 AM   #2

The Panosonic TZ-5 does good video in 720p and takes excellent photo as well

Safariman
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:30 AM   #3

safariman wrote:
Quote:
The Panosonic TZ-5 does good video in 720p and takes excellent photo as well

Safariman

Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking at this one, but the review on this site said the continuous AF could present a problem. Is this true?

Do you own the camera? I have two questions. What's the longest video you could record in full HD 720p mode and in HW 640x480 mode? I have an 8GB SD card so I think I am limited by file size as compared to the capacity on the card.

One other thing. Is the audio quality good? Does it distort at all if the environment is loud? Thats what I was looking at the other Panasonic that didn't have the continuous AF. If the audio quality on this camera is good, it will probably be good on the other Panasonic.
DjPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote