Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1

HI!!

I am currently using a 6 yr Old Oly.. C2, and wish to upgrade myself.

Not a pro, not even a regular amateur, but interested in photography.

I was deciding between 3 cameras, mentioned.

1) Fuji S100fs
2) Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR
3) Canon D450 with 18-55

They are in ascending order for cost and I understand, Fuji is not a DSLR, whereas other 2 are.

I see fuji as a good value for money, but what I hear is Nikon & canon, have exceptionally good results..

Can you guide me to make my decision.

Thanks...
jaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2

To a great extent, your choice should depend on two things:
  1. What you intend to shoot.[/*]
  2. How the camera feels to you.
[/*]
But, naturally, the best choice is the Canon. It has a much better autofocus system than the others, a much better selection of lenses than the Nikon (because the D60 doesn't have an internal autofocus motor, many of Nikons own lenses won't autofocus on it, and few third party lenses will), it has a higher resolution image sensor and 'Live View'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

As I mentioned earlier, it will be more day to day snaps, a little of mountains around, some beaches & well some automobile shots..

I read the review and discussion about S100fs, which people claim to have nearly good results as to an entry level DSLR.

Awaiting more to make the final decision.

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4

why are you only looking at the Nikons and Canons in terms of Dslrs?
At the entry level, there are several good models from different companies.

Canons and Nikons have one signifcant advantage over everyone else: as market leaders, there are more third party accessories and lens available, and there is a larger market for used lens and such, making it very easy if you want to stay with them to buy new stuff, or keep old stuff from old film cameras and such.

But thinking of this other companies have released entry level models with more features. Sony and Olympus have live view and in body image stabilization. Olympus kit lens are excellent and Sony's implementation of live view is among the best there is, and, quite honestly, differences in image quality at the entry level are relatively small.

Since you seem to be interested in just buying kind of the standard kit, canon and nikon's advantage is not that great, and olympus and sony are generally cheaper, and have more features.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:39 PM   #5

I have three digicams:aFuji F50fd, (a compact predecessor to theF100fd),an Olympus SP-560 (a superzoom), and a Pentax K200d (a DSLR). They are all good in different settings. If I were you, I would be tempted to choose the F100fd. The main reason is that it is just much easier than the others to carry around. I take my F50fd almost everywhere. If you get this camera and then discover it's not enough, you can sell your F100fd on Ebay and then get yourself a DSLR. If money is no object, and you really want to get into photography, I would pick the Canon. Its image quality is superb and the lens selections are numerous.

I think my F50fd image quality is as good as an entry level DSLR with kit lens at ISO 100 and maybe 200.

Three things that DSLRs will beat the F100fd at are shutter lag, burst mode speed, anddepth of field. However, reading your post makes me think that the F100fd would satisfy you, anyway.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:31 PM   #6

These are three very different cameras. How did you narrow your selection down to these?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Thanks Robo for the reply,

I am looking at fuji S100fs, having a zoom 25- 400, which will serve my purpose for the time being as a beginner. (I can avoid the purchase of expensive lenses)

I read the reviews a lot, overall good ones except for the CA factor.

D 60 Nkion & Canon D450, I see as a good entry level DSLR.

In the long run, the lens and accessories I can get easily.

Unfortunately I am in middle east & I can't get the stuff from ebay or Amazon.

I have to relay upon the local agents for any thing regarding after sales. Sony A 200 & A 350 is also available but I did not go for the deeper study on that.

For Olympus, local agent here is charging too much for the products.

That's the reason for narrowing down to3 products.

So I need guidance to make my decision.

Thanks,

Jaison

Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:29 AM   #8

The Canon 450D has 'Live View', higher resolution, a better lens, a better autofocus system, and a better selection of lenses than the Nikon D60.

But covering the range of the Fuji will be expensive, big and heavy, but from what you say about what you want to shoot,("... day to day snaps, a little of mountains around, some beaches & well some automobile shots.") I don't think you'd use much of that range anyway.

I'd saythe 450D isworth the extra money, but it's not my money.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:40 AM   #9

Thanks again for the reply.

What concerns me is the overall cost; which will eventually escalate, as the greed will never end fora longer lens.

Then extra flash, tripod etc etc... Fuji S100fs has a live view, will be easy for wife and kid to take a snap or two, then in case need arise, a small movie.

For me it can be a learning cam for the next Dslr.

When I compare the cost, it seemed a good value for the money as well.

Canon, is the most expensive of the lot.

Thats what makes me think twice or more...

Jaison

Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:28 PM   #10

The Fuji S100fs takes good pictures but a common complaint by its reviewers is purple fringing in high contrast areas. Of course, you can get rid of it with software. It's a big camera, heavier than some DSLR's. It is good in low light.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote