Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:29 PM   #1

Well after a great run with my Sony F-717 it has finally died. I am looking at buying a DSLR but am not sure what to look at. I am curently cosidering Canon XSI, Sony A-200, 300 or 350 or a Nikon D60. I'd love to get a Nikon D200 but it is just out of my price range. I take mostly outdoorportraits butdo have some bachgrounds andone alien bee studio light with umbrella.I do a lot of family prtraits for family and friends and afew weddings but am really an amateur photographer.

Thanks so much
jslpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:53 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome.

What happened to the Sony? If it's a CCD issue, you might be able to get it fixed at no charge. See this thread for details:

Notice to Owners of Sony Digital Cameras

In the meantime, I've moved this thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, where members are more likely to see it and offer some suggestions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:23 PM   #3

JimC-

I am sorry to say, my friend, that when I approached Sony to make good on my Sony F-717's defective CCD, they flat out refused. I ended up with not even a sincere thank you.

Yes, I have a Sony H-50 today, but I still have a very bad taste in my mouth about how Sony opted to handle the situation. And I would be less than honest, if I did not stand up straight and tell you that. I hope you understand that I do not readily recommend Sony cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4

My Sony F717 developed problems a couple of years ago. I ended up buying a Pentax dSLR (after trying an FZ30 which didn't have as good quality as the Sony) and couldn't be happier. I now have both a K100 and a K20, love the anti-shake built into the camera and the weather sealing on the K20.

One thing to remember is that the F717 has a really fast lens (I want to say f2 or f2.8 but don't remember any more what it really is) and the various kit lenses aren't as fast. If most of your photos are outside in good light or with flash/extra lighting it might not matter.

Make sure you handle all of the cameras on your list, and check out the viewfinder. Sony sacrificed some of the viewfinder to add the live view (does not apply to the A200, which does not have live view) and I find them very hard to use. Some people don't care for the feel/grip on the Canon as it is a different size than some of the other cameras. As a small female, I know I'd never be able to handle a camera as large and heavy as the D200 - the Pentax K20 (which is lighter than the D200) is as heavy a camera as I can manage. So feel/ergonomics is very important. The nice thing about the situation is that all of the cameras you are considering are capable of taking excellent pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5

jslpratt-

Many DSLR user acknowledge that the Sony A-200 camera offers a lot of value for its price. You might eventually settle on something else. However, start comparing DSLR cameras against the A-200 to begin sorting out your priorities. It might be useful.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:24 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
What happened to the Sony? If it's a CCD issue, you might be able to get it fixed at no charge. See this thread for details:
Thank you so much for this. I just talked to Sony and it is indeed the CCD and they will fix it at no charge! I think I will still need to look at othercameras but it might give me enough time to save for a higherend camera

Thank you once again
jslpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Administrator

No problem. Please let us know how it works out.

Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:51 PM   #8

Well that is surely good news! I guess it all depends on who you speak with, and what mood they are in that particular day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:38 PM   #9
Administrator

I think the free fix was supposed to expire in Oct. 2007. But, they may have extended it (or left it up to the discretion of the service rep), since I have seen reports of no charge CCD replacements after that.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:09 PM   #10

Sony makes many of the CCD's used by other camera makers, including Nikon.

kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote