Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:28 AM   #1

I need a travel cam for both urban and rural use which

1)I can take with me on long exercursions = Alkaline Battery powered so that dont need to worry about lithium battery off.

3)I can take creative shots with all manual settings = P S A M available on mode dial, aperture and shutter priorities, and manual focus.

4) I can take snap-shots with the help of easy to use interface and program modes (Fireworks, beach, etc.)

5) I can take nice potraits with good Aperture range F2.8/8

6) I can take landscapes with good wide angle lens (optical image stabilizer)

7) I can take my shots and use them for professional work (RAW support)

8 ) I can use with ease with good ergonomics. (Man with medium size hands here)

9) I can take shots in low light without problems = higher ISO support and on board flash

10) I have found three candidates (FUJIFILM S8000fd/8100fd - SONY H50 - CANON POWERSHOT IS5), if you have another suggestion please consider my price range ($300-400)

THANKS A LOT.
hahabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:40 AM   #2

Panasonic has recently released the FZ28, which looks to be an improvement over its predecessor, the FZ18, which was a very good camera. The FZ28 has all the features you want.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:49 AM   #3

hahabas-

Based on the requirements you have laid down, I an sorry to say that none of the cameras you have listed will meet those requirements.

None of the cameras listed shoot in RAW. And none of the ultra-zoom cameras are particularly adapted to shooting at high ISO setting in a very low light environment.

Seemingly what you really need is a consumer level DSLR camera such as the Canon XSi or the Sony A-200 to meet your needs. The Canon S-5 camera is a wonderful camera, but it does its best image quality when the ISO setting is at or below ISO 200. The S-5 also has another added advantage. It is equipped with a hotshoe that can accept an external flash, such as the Canon EX-420 or EX-430.

The Sony H-50 is a good camera, but it becomes ISO limited due to noise and degraded image quality at about ISO 800. And it does not have an external flash. The Fuji S-8000/S-8100 is also a good camera but it becomes ISO limited at around ISO 400 due to noise and degraded images.

A camera that you have not mentioned, the Panasonic FZ-18 and its successor, the FZ-28 do have the RAW format, they will retain good image quality to ISO 800, but they do not have a hot shoe and thus an external flash is not an option.

I am not just rambling on, I own each of the cameras you have listed, so I know from shooting experience. For professional use, publishers want 12mg and above, which is not available in this price line of cameras.

The best and most consistent camera of the group would be the Canon S-5, if it were equipped with an external flash. Here is a sample photo of what the S-5 can do.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:21 PM   #4

Sarah,
Firstly, thanks for your comments. But there are ideas I could not figure out as I am not professional user.

Please explain:
1)"The Canon S-5 camera is a wonderful camera, but it does its best image quality when the ISO setting is at or below ISO 200." : Does this mean S5 works well with low light? Bec what I know is Higher the sensitivity 1600+, better in low light.

2)"FZ-28 do have the RAW format, they will retain good image quality to ISO 800" Does this mean FZ-28 does not perform well -800 ?

3)"The Sony H-50 is a good camera, but it becomes ISO limited due to noise and degraded image quality at about ISO 800." What does ISO limited means here ? Bec I ve checked their specifications (all of them) they all have ISO settings from 64,80,100 to1600. What do you mean, they have it but can not perform well OR they do not have these sensetivity ranges for ISO.

PS: I loved the photo you ve sent me. S5 did a good job though. It is indoor, and well saturated colors and no flash (I guess)
One more thing, Battery is great concern here bec I hate those lithium batteries when they run out, but with regular AA sizes , you can buy them anywhere.

Thanks again
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:23 PM   #5

Sarah,
Firstly, thanks for your comments. But there are ideas I could not figure out as I am not professional user.

Please explain:
1)"The Canon S-5 camera is a wonderful camera, but it does its best image quality when the ISO setting is at or below ISO 200." : Does this mean S5 works well with low light? Bec what I know is Higher the sensitivity 1600+, better in low light.

2)"FZ-28 do have the RAW format, they will retain good image quality to ISO 800" Does this mean FZ-28 does not perform well -800 ?

3)"The Sony H-50 is a good camera, but it becomes ISO limited due to noise and degraded image quality at about ISO 800." What does ISO limited means here ? Bec I ve checked their specifications (all of them) they all have ISO settings from 64,80,100 to1600. What do you mean, they have it but can not perform well OR they do not have these sensetivity ranges for ISO.

PS: I loved the photo you ve sent me. S5 did a good job though. It is indoor, and well saturated colors and no flash (I guess)
One more thing, Battery is great concern here bec I hate those lithium batteries when they run out, but with regular AA sizes , you can buy them anywhere.

Thanks again
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:48 PM   #6

hahabas-

What I am attempting to say that with the Canon S-5 camera, when you raise the ISO setting to anything higher than ISO 200, the IQ takes a nose dive. So the S-5 is definitely not a hih ISO capable camera at all.

The Panasonic FZ-28 will not give you good image quality when an ISO setting of above ISO 800 is used. That means that the FZ-28 can operate marginally at ISO settings greater than ISO 800.

The Sony H-50 performs in the same way as the FZ-28-when you use an ISO setting greater than ISO 800, IQ will deteriorate rapidly.

The Canon S-5 photo that I attached to my initial reply was taken at ISO 200, using a Canon EX-430 external flash.

Based on your proposed requirements, the only camera that can effectively handle the low light level/high ISO environment is a consumer level DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:24 AM   #7

Sarah,

You ve been really helpful so far thanks. Since you are more experienced, I have few more questions. My aim is to get three sets of digicams for different approaches.

1) P&S tiny digicam(Powershot SD series)with solid built high quality optics for daily snapshots and fun.

2) Prosumer OR Super zoom (The ones weare discussing) for vacations , urban and rural excursions where dust and dirt is a big problem.

3) Enthutiast DSLR (ex80) for more intense or pre-organized photography.

I have no problems choosing 1 and 3 but 2 seems really tricky for me. Because all those gizmos (intelligent this, that, auto blah...) really ruins basics of photography. I got your point about none of these(S8000fd - H 50 - S5- TZ28) can acheive what DSLR can do. Now, I want to enjoy midsize (non-DSLR) digicam with fixed lens (if possible alkaline battery powered), maybe photo samples help more on what I want to do this machine, please have look at them.

Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: zip group1.zip (157.2 KB, 50 views)
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:27 AM   #8

Group2 photos
Attached Files
File Type: zip Group2.zip (155.6 KB, 56 views)
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:28 AM   #9

Group3 photos
Attached Files
File Type: zip Group3.zip (155.7 KB, 51 views)
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:47 AM   #10

hahabas-

It appears that you dislike the technical aspects of photography. However, after reviewing your carefully collected sample photos, it is obvious that each photo employed excellent photo techniques to attain their pictorial impact.

Thus, there seems to be a conflict that we really should resolve. Are you expecting any of the super zoom cameras being considered, to record brilliant photos (like your photo samples) in the fully automatic mode?

Or is it your intent to progressively master the techniques and the technical aspects of photography so that you consistently produce photos like your group of photo samples?

Sarah Joyce