Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:32 AM   #1

I have recently purchased a Pentax k100d super with a basic zoom lens.

I would like to take action sporting shots of a martial art event .

I can get to within 4 Meters of the subject .

Any suggestions
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:18 AM   #2

I had a Pentax *ist DS with a basic kit lens. I never took pictures of martial arts action, but I did do ballroom dancing. I imagine the martial artists will be moving faster. I have three pieces of advice.

1. Post the same request in the Sports forum.

2. You will probably have to shoot at high ISO's with the kit lens to get sharp pictures in typical gym lighting. At least 800, probably 1600, and maybe even 3200.

3. Consider gettinga fast lens like the SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 to get faster shutter speeds. That lens is a prime lens (i.e. no zoom), but if you can position yourself, it should work. It costs between $200 and $250 online in the US. I imagine it costs more in the UK.

You won't really know what you need till you try your camera out in a few gyms, where lighing varies.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:55 AM   #3

Gary,

Can you be more specific regarding the type of event. Lot's of different types of martial arts events and the advice will be a bit different. For instance, if you are photographing power breaking demonstrations that is completely different than kata. Sparring on an open floor mat different than ring different than cage.

So some additional specifics would greatly help us give you advice.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:03 AM   #4

Basically the competition format is the same as cage fighting but without the cage.

The area and movements are the same too.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:04 AM   #5

Thanks for that i will experiment with faster film speed.I will also start a pound jar to save up for a better lens .Once I get capital sanction from the wife.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:50 AM   #6

Gary Smith wrote:
Quote:
Basically the competition format is the same as cage fighting but without the cage.

The area and movements are the same too.
Well unless it's the best lit pro arena, even at 3200 the kit lens won't be good enough to freeze motion. You'll also have issues with focus speed / accuracy with the kit lens in those conditions. So I would recommend concentrating your efforts on the ground action. You'll have more time to acquire focus.

Frame TIGHTLY - as tight as possible. Resisit the notion to frame loose and crop later - you'll get very poor results that way - especially when shooting at high ISOs.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote