Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Hello, I´m looking foward to get an intermidiate p&s camera. After some research on the internet, I came across two models that I liked so far: Canon Powershot 770 IS and the Olympus Stylus 1010.

Both of them share 90% of their features and specs. including price. I´m not sure which one to buy, cause i like both. I´ll appreciate anyone with good knowledge of these brands that could give me some advice.
Heres a side-by-side link:

http://www.dpreview.com/... ...ameras=canon_sd770is%2Coly_stylus1010&show= all
Andres78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum,

It's tough trying to give someone a camera recommendation when we have no idea of what you intend to shoot and how you intend to use it. Just comparing specs can be meaningless. Both of these cams are ultracompacts...is that a must? Could you go a little larger? Neither has a wide angle lens...will that be a factor for the type of pictures you want to take? Neither has much zoom - what are your requirements? One has a viewfinder, the other doesn't - does that matter, or don't you care?

Give us a little more info about what your needs arem, and I'm sure one of our members will be able to help you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:45 PM   #3

Hello and thanks for the welcome!

My digital camera history:

-Minolta 3mp compact camera. Had it for 3 years then died all of the sudden!
- Nikon coolpix s9 6mp. had it for 2 years then my brother lost it! (I wont let him borrow my camera again, not without a deposit. lol)

These are the requirements or "needs" for my new camara:

- Ultracompact or pocket size with a few advanced features.
- Sturdy build and nice design.
- Optical Image Stabilization.
- 8 or 10MP. I prefer the later!
- Decent indoor/low light picture quality.
- exellent outdoors picture quality.
- Priced less than $250. Around $200 if possible.
- Good battery life.

Don't mind if it has or not an optical viewer. (if it has one, then its a plus!)
An optical zoom higher than 3x (5x or 7x) is a plus as long as it doesn't affect the cameras compact size or picture quality while zooming.

I hope this description helps.

PS. most of time I go more for the Canon Powershot 770 IS, just because my first film camera was Canon Elph APS. It brings me good old memories thats all! :G
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:24 PM   #4

Andres,

Your needs are modest, but so is your budget...your size requirement also is limiting. Small, inexpensive cameras just don't have big zooms, great low light capability and lots of features. They are usually cursed with very slow flash recycle times and suffer from red-eye.

But, if I had to choose between one of the 2 cams you've listed, I would lean toward the Canon. However, I don't have to limit my choice between those 2 cams...and neither do you.

Before you buy, take a look at the Fuji F50. Since they just announced the new F60, the prices should start to fall on the F50 (already have). I think you'll find it will give you better low light performance than the 2 cams you've listed, with a considerably larger sensor, and a more powerful flash. Plug that one into that other site you linked to previously and compare features. While you're at it, add the F100 to your list...outside your budget, but so many more features.

Then go here...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

...plug in the cameras you're interested in, and compare low light images on the still-life photos.

Then go to a store and play with all 4 models. Bring a flash card with you, and take a few pics.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice! I´m going to check out the Fuji Finepix f50a and compare them to the other two cameras.

Andres.