Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:17 AM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Stevie-

Beyond the Panasonic TZ-5, what other cameras would you suggest? And do they have a hot shoe that will mount a nice external flash?

Sarah Joyce
As soon as somebody says small enough to carry around, but still has good whatevers... I just cringe because I know those combinations are just too hard to find.

I love the G9. It may be the perfect small camera. Up to a point. Thesize and weight of the camera really sux for a walking around, quick to grap, shirt pocket type camera. IF, and that is a pretty darn big IF, if the G9 was shrunk down just abit so the camera could slip in and out of my shirt pocket I would jump on the camera in a heart beat... even over looking the weight. Yes, it is that good of a camera.

The Panny TZ-5 almost fits my requirements, except as you pointed out the no hotshoe, and we all know about the noise problems of camera. But for many people the TZ-5 is becoming a good all around compromise of range of lens plus size and general features. Except the OP already dismissed the TZ-5 and returned the camera.

Getting a camera physically smaller than the TZ-5 doesn't make much sense when the lense range is 38-105 or something similar and the user wants to shot indoors or a subjects just a short distance away. And then there is the lack of a viewfinder on one camera, or the wee bitty size of the other camera that makes it difficult to hold or use.

See my delimna recommending a single camera over another?

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:17 PM   #12

Stevie-

I agree with you completely, the popular Panasonic TZ-5, is good but only if you accept the following compromises:

No OVF or EVF
No Flash Hotshoe
A somewhat underpowered flash.

Personally, I would rather accept a somewhat larger physical size, and get the somewhat better photos, and features that I really want. Bottomline, because it is a personal choice, we all have to make a personal decision about what "trade-off's" we can accept. The TZ-5 is so popular because the TZ-5 users make a decision about trade-offs.

For the OP, the Fuji F-100 might work just fine.

Take a look at this TZ-5 sample photo. The photo was taken, using the TZ-5's built-in flash, at about 8 feet. The camera had to increase the ISO setting to ISO 640 to get the photo. To me that is a real trade-off.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:32 PM   #13

Yep,even with the resized picture I can see the typical low light / weak flash problem of the TZ-5. Of course any camera with a weak flash is going to need to increase the ISO ... and so many small cameras havea similar noise problem (+/-).

The question that kind of remains .... which is better.... stronger flash or better performance at higer ISO?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:20 PM   #14

Stevie-

Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer to use a well powered external flash rather than using the high ISO/Low Light Level approach. The images obtained are much better and you don't have to apologize for quality of your images.

Thus, my choice is to either use a consumer level DSLR camera with its appropiate brand name flash, or if you prefer a lesser budget, how about the Canon S-5IS coupled with the Canon EX-430 flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:24 PM   #15

The S5 IS will most likely be replaced very shortly, so there may be a drop in price (and availability). The G9 is already listed as Discontinued at B&H, so everyone is anticipating an announcement from Canon on the new line of cameras, including a probable S6 IS.

The 430EX is also about to be replaced by the 430EX II (available for pre-order on Amazon now), with it's (430EX) price also dropping. Now may be a good time to watch for the transition, and save even more money?

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:03 AM   #16

Dennis-

While things are always changing, we have to take our photos in real time. Thus, I for one, will deal with the "new stuff" only when it truly arrives on the dealer's shelves.

Sarah Joyce