Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:39 PM   #1

Hey! I am looking at a p&s that has great image quality and is small enough to bring to a concert/club/bar/dinners etc..

So for that - I need something that does decently well in low lighting situations (with and without flash).

I am thinking about these three models, G9, S5 or SD650 or SD720.

I think the S5 might be a bit too big for what I am looking for - but if it is exceptionally better than I might consider it.

Is the G9 far superior to the SD650 or 720? If not, perhaps I should go with those?

Eventually I want to get an SLR as well, but would like somethign smaller to take along with me for places where it is had to bring an SLR.
aschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:39 PM   #2

aschulze-

None of the cameras you have listed will do well in a low light/high ISO evironment. Those Fuji cameras with the specialized imagers are the best at that task. You might look at the Fuji F-100fd which has 5X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:59 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply! I am a bit concerned about moving away from Canon - I have an old A75 which still performs better than any of the other cameras I have recetnyl bought and returned (including a panasonic Tz5). If I can get away with having good quality low light images with a flash, I would prefer to use a Canon.

There are some cases where its not possible to use a flash, but for the most part I would be using a flash.

I also am starting to get into fashion photography/portraits, so something that would work well in both situations
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:56 PM   #4

Or would the fuji also work well in outdoors conditions?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:42 PM   #5

If you are willing to use flash then you will be limited to either the S5 or G9, since they have a hotshoe. You should consider a flash with enough power and bounce capabilities to give you a good kit. The S5 plus a Canon 430EX would be a good combo, and less expensive than a G9 + 430EX.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:27 PM   #6

Thanks Dennis-

In fact, we have just finished completing a Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial in the Canon Digicam Folder, that included both the Canon S-5 and the Canon G-7 cameras.

Unfortunately, the Canon cameras (the Canon S-5 and the Canon G-7/G-9) can do rather well if you are willing to invest in a good external flash, such as the Canon EX-430 flash. However, we will leave that decision up to you. Here is a nice Canon S-5 photo sample that was completed with the EX-420 external falsh.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:07 PM   #7

aschulze wrote:
Quote:
Hey! I am looking at a p&s that has great image quality and is small enough to bring to a concert/club/bar/dinners etc..

So for that - I need something that does decently well in low lighting situations (with and without flash).

I am thinking about these three models, G9, S5 or SD650 or SD720.

I think the S5 might be a bit too big for what I am looking for - but if it is exceptionally better than I might consider it.

Is the G9 far superior to the SD650 or 720? If not, perhaps I should go with those?

Eventually I want to get an SLR as well, but would like somethign smaller to take along with me for places where it is had to bring an SLR.
One consideration I have for cameras is the weight and pocketability (if that is actually a word). As good as the G9 and S5 may be (and they are good cameras) both cameras suffer in terms of weight and pocketability (for example the G9 is slightly too large to fit into a man's shirt pocket {I have tried it}and the weight of the camera is just too much even for my pants pocket). Since you mention that you would like to get add an DSLR, and assuming that your DSLR would become your primary camera I would go with either of the SD Canons since you are happy with Canon. As you note elsewhere, there are problems ) with many small cameras (ie Panny TZ5). Actually that is a problem with all small cameras. But as much as we may beat up a camera for "poor quality" in terms of bang for the buck and overal image quality the camera of today is much better than a camera from 5 years ago. Keep thosethoughts in your mind and look for a camera that you will be happy to carry along side of your DSLR. Remember, the easier it is to carry the camera with you, the more chances you will have to take a picture.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:21 PM   #8

Stevie-

Beyond the Panasonic TZ-5, what other cameras would you suggest? And do they have a hot shoe that will mount a nice external flash?

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:47 PM   #9

Reading a lot of reviews....the Fuji f100 actually seems really good - with a larger zoom and performing well in low light..how does it do in daylight? I think I might go with this option!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:58 PM   #10

Please read the recent reviews on the Fuji F-100. and you will find that the F-100 also does very well outside as well. Here is an outdoor photo sample from the http://www.dcresource.com review of the Fuji F-100 camera.

And just for the record, I would like everyone to know that the OP is also simultaneously posting over at www.dcresource.com's "What camera Should I Buy" folder.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images