Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:32 PM   #1

Folks, pardon if this question has been asked before, but I am looking for an all around camera that will predominatly be used outside in fishing situations.

I had a Sony, a DC 3 or something lke that, that was stolen on a fishing trip last year. I liked this camera because it could use both compact flash and the Sony memory sticks, so I could carry double the memory by just simply having one of each in the camera. The thing I liked best was the very fast response once I touched off the release button. It also fit my very large hands very well.

When this camera disappeared, I purchased a Canon 720is and like it ok but the lag between when I wanted to take a picture and when the camera actually took the picture caused me to miss several pictures on a recent fishing trip. Thus my considerations include:

1) fast response time

2) a long zoom would be nice. My Canon has a 6x and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have even more

3) Larger size to fit my large hands.

4) Fast response time, oh, I said that.

I have considered the Sony H50 and the Canon is5

Thanks for considering my question.

Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:55 AM   #2

Outhouse-

Since you have focused on two cameras: the Sony H-50 and the Canon S-5, is your question what might be the better of those two cameras?

Because these will be virtually 100% outdoor, fishing, photos, you might be able to get by with the Kodak Z-712 camera selling now for less than $(US) 200.00. It has 7.2mp, 12X optical zoom, both manual and fully automatic controls, and a great photo reputation. Might that be a possibility for you?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:18 AM   #3

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
When this camera disappeared, I purchased a Canon 720is and like it ok but the lag between when I wanted to take a picture and when the camera actually took the picture caused me to miss several pictures on a recent fishing trip. Thus my considerations include:

1) fast response time
Since one of your main interests is in fast response time - low shutter lag - this list should be useful:
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...ort=ShutterLag
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4

Andy/Sarah, first of all, thanks for the quick replies. I was leaning towards either the Sony and or Canon simply because I have always had good results from them, particularly the Sony's. I will look at the Kodak camera you referenced and I am open to any other suggestions out there.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:30 PM   #5

Outhouse-

I was just attempting to save you some money. The H-50 is a good choice, and the Canon S-5 is an even better choice if you want to expand your photo knowledge by using an external flash. If an expernal flash is not in your plans, then those two cameras are about equal.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #6

Sarah, you mentioned Kodak z712. Do you have any idea about the shutter lag? Thas was really the genesis of my question. A local retailer has this camera for $140.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #7

Sarah, you mentioned Kodak z712. Do you have any idea about the shutter lag? Thas was really the genesis of my question. A local retailer has this camera for $140.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8

Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:18 PM   #9

outhouse-

The shutter lag on the Kodak Z-712 is excellent. It is not instantaneous, but less that 1/10 of a second.

Sarah Joyce