Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:53 AM   #1

Hello everyone,
I need some help please as I am looking into getting myself a DSLR and suitable lense as I have started to travel quite regularly to the WRC/World Rally Championship events and would like your opinions on which camera would suit me best.
As its my first camera of this kind I would like (if possible) to keep within the £600-800 range,and my main concern is making sure it is quick enough as viewing spots within the sport can be very hit and miss at times and also a few features too would be nice.
I have been looking at the Canon eos 450d and Nikon D60 cameras,but I'm not sure whether they would be up to the task?
Many thanks for your help.
jaytee10375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:19 PM   #2

Of the two, I think the Canon has the edge here. The Nikon D80 would be a better choice than the D60, faster and more rugged. Also the D80 can use ANY Nikon AF lens, the D60 will ONLY work with the newer AF lenses that have the AF motor in the lens.
kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:32 PM   #3

I agree. The key feature for your application would be the speed and accuracy of the autofocus system. In that price range, the Canon would be the best choice.

Another consideration is that you'll need a good lens for what you want to do. You could perhaps get the 400D instead of the 450D and put the extra money into an appropriatelens. The 400D is 10MP instead of 12MP, and it doesn't have 'Live View', but the autofocus system is still very good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:33 PM   #4

kscharf wrote:
Quote:
Of the two, I think the Canon has the edge here. The Nikon D80 would be a better choice than the D60, faster and more rugged. Also the D80 can use ANY Nikon AF lens, the D60 will ONLY work with the newer AF lenses that have the AF motor in the lens.
totallyagree
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote