Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:21 PM   #51
Super Moderator

An external flash for your R1 will make a huge difference.

Forget about the adapters. Turn a great lens into a trash lens.

But it won't be a DSLR.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:23 PM   #52

JimC,

Which is the better option in terms of performance ,quality, lens range and performance

NikonD90 with 18-200mm lens or my R1with its Zeiss lens used 14.3-71.5 with lens focal range 24-120mm and Lens max aperture range is F2.8-F4

I'm not trying to compare a dSLR with asemi SLR like the R1. I'm only interested to compare as is with the above original lensesthat comes with each camera.
Greatestboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:32 PM   #53
Administrator

I'm beginning to feel bad about commenting. ;-)

Yes, you should get better results indoors using an external flash (but, it's not a "black and white" type of thing, as lighting, interior design, camera settings and more come into the equation for best results). That comes with experience using a given solution.

Personally, I probably wouldn't go with a solution that required the use of wide angle adapters and teleconverters on a model like your R1 to achieve the focal range desired (because they do tend to degrade image quality some, and I'd just as soon change lenses versus trying to carry and use those types of adapters anyway). I'd also value the extra performance you'd have with a dSLR solution, and the ability to use brighter lenses when desired (an option you don't have with a model like the R1).

Also, if you invest money in those types of add on lenses, you may not be able to carry them with you if you upgrade to a different camera later (versus your lenses becoming more of an investment with a dSLR solution).

But, each user will have to decide for themselves what type of solution is acceptable for the type of shooting they want to do.

IOW, nobody can tell you what's best. I'm just trying to give you a feel for the pros and cons of a given choice.

You're mentioning a wide angle adapter. Are you finding that you need something wider than your R1 lens provides? If so, you'll want to consider that you're going to need a wider lens for a dSLR solution, too. There is no difference in angle of view using a lens like the CZ 16-80mm on a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor compared to the lens on your R1. Both will have the same angle of view (apparent magnification) that you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera (you have to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x to see what focal length lens you'd need to use on a 35mm camera for the same angle of view with a camera like the Nikon D300 or Sony models you're looking at).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:33 PM   #54

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
An external flash for your R1 will make a huge difference.

Forget about the adapters. Turn a great lens into a trash lens.
Why to you say to forget about the adapter. Have you ever used an R1 with the adpter for Wideangle lens orTelephoto lens.

Did you actually used one with an external flash?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:40 PM   #55

Don't feel bad. Actually I should with all my sometimes ignorant inquiries. Thanks so so much for all your effort. I feell I'm ready to go out and make a decision now.

I'll share with you my decision once I make one. Then you'll evaluate my choice.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:41 PM   #56
Super Moderator

Common wisdom suggests that the R1 lens blows the Nikon 18-200 out of the water by a huge margin.

But doing a bit of searching, suggests that may not be true...

Compare the blur charts (sharpness tests) from this review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A6.HTM

To the blur chart from the Nikon 18-200:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/250/cat/13

The answer is that it rather depends on the focal length and aperture you select. But the 18-200 gives pretty good results for a superzoom, and certainly is quite sharp in the centre.

Even wrt CA, distortion and vignetting it's not that clear-cut.

The R1 defnitely seems to have a sweet spot at the 30-40mm range though, it has clearly been calibrated to work best at the mid-zoom/normal range.

But the 18-200 covers a much bigger zoom range than the R1, the R1 has an 35mm equivalent range of 24-120mm, which on a Nikon translates to about 18-70, not 18-200.

When you compare the R1 lens to the Nikkor 18-70 the latter comes out way ahead.

And check out the Zeiss 16-80 that would fit on the A700. WOW!!

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/973/cat/83

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:42 PM   #57
Administrator

Greatestboss wrote:
Quote:
Why to you say to forget about the adapter. Have you ever used an R1 with the adpter for Wideangle lens orTelephoto lens.
There is no "free lunch" with those types of add-on lenses. Even the best ones are going to degrade image quality in some conditions. For example, you may get more corner softness, vignetting (darkening of corners), flare in harsher lighting, CA (Chromatic Aberrations/color fringing), distortion, etc. using an add-on type lens. You don't want to put any more glass than you have to in front of a camera's lens.

Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:51 PM   #58
Administrator

P.S.

I wouldn't get too caught up in comparing features, specs, etc. If you're not going to take advantage of a given benefit one system provides over another, then don't worry about it too much. ;-)

Look at where you are finding limitations with your existing R1. Is it focal range (you want a lens or lenses that offer a wider angle of view, or a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification), or is it image quality in some conditions (i.e., the noise problem you ran into trying to shoot without a flash indoors), or is it performance (you need a faster camera), etc.?

You don't want to end up with a system that sits on a shelf unused (or limit yourself too much because you don't want to lug a heavier kit around with multiple lenses). Any choice is going to be a compromise in one area or another. But, most any of them are capable of taking great photos in most conditions. Your skill as a photographer is probably going to be the limiting factor, no matter what kit you go with.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:52 PM   #59

I made few visits to suppliers today, checked the sony A700 which truly appealed to me. However As it rates up there with the Likes of D300 or the Canon 40D,50D both of which are targeted towardsveteran users, I decided to steer away from all three.

I did not feel at home with the A350 though I gave it another try. Therefore I decided to stick to theNikon D90 with the Nikon 18-200. I felt so comfortable holding the D80. It feltas if I have found the missing linkand when the D90 comesout, it should be the same size.I believe this will fulfill my needs as a casual photographer plusI'll add an external flash.

This way I can always add new lenses after I improve my skills in photography. It'll be more than I need for the moment.

I hope my choice will be a step forward from my R1 which has limitations. This way I'll havebetter focal range, wider angle of view, better image quality in some conditions like the noise problem I had trying to shoot without a flash indoors and finally a faster camera fps.

I believe this choice will open wider choice of lenses for me in the future.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 2:28 PM   #60
Administrator

Greatestboss wrote:
Quote:
I hope my choice will be a step forward from my R1 which has limitations. This way I'll havebetter focal range, wider angle of view....
Just to make sure you understand something... You would not have a wider angle of view with the 18-200mm (it wouldn't be as wide as the lens on your R1).

The lens on your R1 gives you the same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera.

An 18-200mm lens on a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor like the D90 (or other models you've been looking at) would have the same angle of view you'd get using a 27-300mm lens on a 35mm camera. So, it would not start out as wide as your existing camera.

When looking at a dSLR with a Sony APS-C size sensor (most Nikon models, Sony models, entry level Pentax models), you need to multiple the focal length of the lens by 1.5x to see what lens it would compare to on a 35mm camera. So, an 18-200mm lens on one of these camera would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-300mm lens on a 35mm camera (not as wide as the lens on your R1).

If you look at the lens on your R1, it's actually a 14.3-71.5mm lens. It just gives you the same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera (the sensor in your R1 is just a bit smaller than the one in a typical dSLR, and you have a slightly different multiplier).

To match the wide end of your R1 with a lens on the dSLRs you're looking at, you'd need a lens starting out at 16mm (which would give you the same angle of view as a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera).

If you want something even wider than your R1, you'll need to look at other lenses that start out even wider than 16mm (and there are a number of them that do start out wider, but those won't go as long as a lens like the 18-200mm).

Quote:
....better image quality in some conditions like the noise problem I had trying to shoot without a flash indoors....
I'd make sure you get a flash for use indoors, as that lens is even dimmer than the one on your R1 (meaning that you'd need even higher ISO speeds to get the same shutter speeds you could with your R1 in the same lighting). You'd have lower noise for a given ISO speed with the newer models. But, with a dimmer lens that, you're still going to want a flash in many indoor conditions for non-stationary subjects. The Nikkor 18-200mm is down to a widest aperture of around f/5.6 if you zoom in much with it. The lens on your existing R1 is twice as bright on it's longer end (f/4 is twice as bright as f/5.6).

If you want a versatile "all in one" type lens, that would make a great choice though. You can always add more lenses later if shooting conditions dictate.