Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:43 PM   #71

JimC wrote:

Quote:
Frankly, I think you'd probably be thrilled with a combo like the D90 and 18-200mm VR lens, as long as you added a decent flash to the kit (for example, grab an SB-600 to go with it). That way, you'd have a flexible solution with a very usable focal range from wide to long, equivalent to 27-300mm on a 35mm camera. A flash like the SB-600 even comes with a belt pouch you can carry it in, only pulling it out when you want to use it for fill or for use in lower light indoors.

That is what I was looking for.And this is why I started this post. Again today I tried this combo with D80 instead of D90. and it was perfect. I felt the handling of the Camera, menu was perfect for my liking.Now I'll have to sit and wait for the D90 release date.

I even checked the SB-600 flash and they have it in stock. I was curoius with what TCav suggested Nikon 16-85mm and Nikon 70-300mm . Both of great quality and highly rated. But then I need to start with an all in one lens and thats why the 18-200mm is my first choice. As a beginner this will get me going an it'll be difficult to keep on changing lenses. Or I might buy all three now and learn mostly on the 18-200mm and utilize the others in their required situations.
Quote:

Here's my concern...

I got the impression from your earlier posts in this thread that you didn't want to compromise on quality and only wanted to buy a kit once. I'd rethink that approach. There is no one perfect choice, and you'll need to get some experience under your belt with a given camera kit in order to better understand what is best for your needs, and that tends to be an evolving process. That's one of the reason I often suggest that users stay with a basic camera kit (i.e., the inexpensive kit lenses manufacturers bundle). That way, they can get some experience with a kit and they'll have a better understanding of their needs, without spending a lot of money up front. Then, they can make better informed decisions later.

This should not be a concern. That was my idea when I started the post. Its no longer is. With all the great feedback and help of all the guys and specially JimC. I decided to take the stairs from the bottom upwards. The D300 is way too compicated and the D90 is more of an entry level dSLR. I'll build my collection of lenses as I go up the ladder. hope with this kit in mind, I meet the criteria you were referrring for with the inexpensive kit, basic camera kit sentence.
Greatestboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:50 PM   #72

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Or better still, how about a Nikon D90 with a Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S ($580) and a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR ($479). These two lenses would be a lot better than the 18-200.

On an absolute scale, the 18-200 is not a very good lens. These are very good lenses. Together, they are wider, longer, sharper, and faster. They're just bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

He has a budget of $2,500 and wants a very good kit. Why does the 18-200 keep coming up?
Read both reviews, very impressed with the performance of both lenses.I even read other reviews on these lenses. They seem the perfect match for my needs in the long run. That is exactly what I was looking for when I first started this post. Both of these lenses cover my needs in width and length. The 18-200mm on the other hand will combine both needs but with some compromise.

I read several reviews on the 18-200 and its not as highly rated as people havereferred to. It has its limitations but its a decent all rounder to start with. I can buy the lenses you suggested now or at a later stage and utilize them when I require width and length. The 18-200 is the day to day equipment.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:57 PM   #73

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
The D90 appears to be a very good camera selection. It appears to have everything that your after, with the exception of in body image stabilization.
Quote:
Just my opinion, but the D90 appears to be one step below the D300 - your original choice

We want to see pictures!!!
The lense 18-200mm will have the image stabilization. No need to have that option on the body. I think only Sony and Olympus have it on the body. Maybe Pentax too.

The D300 is no longer my choice. Every single contributor on this post said its not for a beginner.And that its so difficult to master + It'll take me ages to learn and utilize all of its capabilities.

I'll post some pictures once I get hold of the kit. I'm still waiting for the D90 to be released.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:59 PM   #74
Administrator

Greatestboss wrote:
Quote:
hope with this kit in mind, I meet the criteria you were referrring for with the inexpensive kit, basic camera kit sentence.
Actually, I usually mean the lenses that add around $100 or so to the cost of a kit, versus a lens like that 18-200mm which is selling for around $800 now on the retail side. ;-)

It's not a real cheap lens for someone just starting out. However, it's quite versatile.

I'm not sure how many kits Nikon will offer for the D90. It's my understanding that the recently announced 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 DX VR lens is going to be the basic kit lens with that camera (which would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-157mm lens on a 35mm camera). But, it's not uncommon to see more than one kit (both from Nikon and dealer bundles) to help make a package deal more attractive to buyers. We'll just have to wait and see what starts ending up on dealer shelves.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:12 PM   #75

JimC,

I have a Question. Is Zeiss a leader on dSLR lenses or are they relatively new. I mostly see their lenses on the Sony p&s cams.

What other German lens manufacturers are there around. I think Leica is one of them. Are both these brands exclusive to Sony and Panasonic respectively.

Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:32 PM   #76

Zeiss was founded in 1846, and has always been one of the premier manufacturers of optical systems.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_AG

Zeiss used to make their own line of film SLRs. They were very good, but they were also very expensive. Zeiss lenses are one of the reasons why Sony video cameras have always been one of the industry's standards. (The other top players are Canon, and Panasonic with it's Leica lenses.) Sony expanded its relationship with Zeiss when it started making digital cameras. That's where you've seen the association with P&S digicams, but that was definitely the low end of their business.

There are lots of German lens manufacturers, but none have the standing of Zeiss and Leica. For instance, Schneider Kreuznach, another German firm,has made lenses for Kodak for years. They are good, but not as good as Zeiss or Leica.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:59 PM   #77

I new they were around since ages They do all sorts of optical inventions. I was referring to their camera business specifically with Sony. Anyhow, thanks for the info.

But the Zeiss dSLR lenses will only fit Sony Alpha series. They won't fit Nikkon or any other brand. Neither does Leica fit Nikon
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:24 PM   #78
Administrator

Actually, Zeiss has some very high quality primes (fixed focal length versus zoom) available for Nikon and Pentax mounts now. These are manual focus:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B...25711B005A77C4
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote