Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:09 AM   #1

Hi. I would need some help in deciding on which camera out of these to buy. The specs for S5 IS look better but when I compare the sample images the ricoh r8 looks great !

Please let me your thoughts about this, or should these be even compared or not ?
Can Ricoh be compared to Canon?
sunnysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2

they are quite a bit different cameras.

s5is is a great camera, one of the best in its own class. good image sharpness image stabilization fairly ok detail levels and a powerful zoom range. downside is a little bad iso performance alot of loss of detail at higher iso's not so pocketable etc.

ricoh r8 on the other hand is much more pocketable, great wide angle, pretty decent higher iso performance compared to s5. downside is u don't get such great range of photography as u get with the big zoom lens. but again this is all up to you and what you are after.

if you are family or social event guy u might lean towards r8 as it will give you a little bit better indoor performance and pretty pocketable to go to any even with you. where you will suffer from detail loss @ high isos with canon.

on the other hand canon (technically) covers a wider range of photography, and will let you get closer to action, and nature etc.

well once you decide what kinda of photos ur after, either of those will be a fine choice. they are both fighting to be the best performers in their class.
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3

I don't know anything about the R8, but I'm currently using a Canon S2 IS, one of the S5's older brothers. I can tell you that I've taken some pretty fantastic photos with it and I have to assume the S5 would be even more capable.

The swivel LCD screen on the S2 is great. I use it for shots taken while holdingthe camera above my head and for awkward angles. It's also good for self-portraits with your better half. It uses 4 AA batteries, which a lot of people prefer over the proprietary kind, and if you buy powerful NiMH rechargables, they'll last you for at least 2 years. I believe the S5 has a clip-on lens cap too, which is a huge improvement over the crappy cover that came with my S2 (a light breeze will knock it off).

Downsides to my S2: The Canon PC software sucks. At least the version that I have does. The buttons and menus are not intuitive, it's obvious that someone unfamiliar with the English language wrote the words, rather than a tech writer. If you use a card reader to download your pics instead, this will not be an issue, but personally I like the way the software organizes my image files. And now that I know how it works, the silly wording doesn't matter as much. (By contrast, the software on the camera itself is great... very user-friendly.) Another problem I had was finding a good case. Most cases are either too small or way too big. There aren't many cases out there designed for this size of camera. After 3 attempts I've finally settled with a Roots case, although it could use more pockets.

Good luck.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4

all s2/s3/s5 has great sharpness compared to the competition.

boldstar is right about small details tho. :-) for some they will not be getting turned off by small issues, like lens cap or menu language but once you get your hands on a camera they might be very annoying. i am having similar issues with my camera which are driving me absolutely insane.

like when i view my pics as soon as i press + to zoom in a bit it jumps to 6x zoom in on the image then i have to press - 4 times to view what i wanna see .. this is a sony a200 ...

what i mean is .. u won't really know what is good and what is bad about the camera untill you get your hands on one and use it.

both of those cameras have great image quality, and hard to go wrong with them whichever u chose.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:20 PM   #5

Certainly I agree with whiskey... the small things aren't going to make or break your decision. But sometimes it helps to hear things like that from people who already own the equipment.

I'd still recommend the S-series to someone, but wow, the lens cap drives me nuts. I'm not in the camera-designing business and I would have seen that flaw right away. I have to wonder why somebody at Canon didn't pipe up and say, "this cap is useless." Thankfully they've fixed the problem for the S5. And I'm noticing more and more cases in stores now that fit this prosumer-size of camera. Trust me, carrying your S5 around on a Caribbeanbiking tour in a camcorder case stuffed with socks to keep it from bouncing around is no picnic.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:38 PM   #6

canon s series will definitely offer you a wider range of photography, only a little less portable and just tiny bit lower iso performance ..
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:09 PM   #7

Thank you every one, I go for the S5.
sunnysf is offline   Reply With Quote