Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:37 PM   #1

I'm in the market for a new camera with baby on the way. I've historically been pretty strictly a Canon guy, but I'm looking for something a bit more versatile than my current PowerShot SD500, and considering other brands. It has been a great little point and shoot, and was a nice size reduction from my previous G3.

But now I find myself wanting a bit more substantial camera. Not quite in the market for a dSLR because of the cost, and also looking for something that can shoot decent movies so I can take short clips here and there until she starts doing enough to warrant a dedicated camcorder.

I like the idea of the FZ50 because of the arm-mounted LCD and what seems like would be SLR-like feel, particularly manual zoom option (mostly for use while recording movies). The hot-shoe seems like it would be nice to have, to add a more powerful flash down the line, which would make that 12x zoom a bit more useful in certain situations.

I like the wider angle on the FZ28, but I suppose I could replicate that on the FZ50 with a converter. The FZ28 has a longer zoom, but I'm rarely likely to need that much telephoto power anyway. The FZ28 seems more on the point-and-shoot end of the spectrum overall, while the FZ50 seems more like a midpoint between the point-and-shoot and dSLR worlds.

I noticed that the CCD on the FZ-50 is 1/1.8, while the FZ-28 is 1/2.33. Should I be inclined towards the presumably newer, smaller CCD, or the larger one?

I've also considered the Canon S5-IS, but thought I should at least consider other brands this time around. Also, the Panasonic TZ5, but it seems to have a significantly reduced feature set compared to what I'm used to with Canon point-and-shoot models.

Anyone have any recommendations of one of these cameras over the others, or any I haven't considered? Thanks much!
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:48 PM   #2

I should add that baby isn't due until Christmas Eve, so if there are new models around the corner that I might want to check out, I can wait a bit, though I'd like to have the camera in enough time to take some pics of the wife once she's achieved blimp-like size, and also just to have time to get used to the camera before the little one arrives.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:44 PM   #3

We're in the exact same boat... baby on the way here in October.

I had an old Canon A95 with Tiffen 2x converter and filters, and wanted something a bit more substantial, but wasn't willing to make the move to an SLR. We have an SD870IS for a pocket camera, and I cross-shopped the Sony H50, Oly 570, Panasonic FZ50 and FZ28.

I've had my FZ28 for a few weeks now, and while I haven't gotten to do much with, it takes pretty good photos so far. Stabilization is nice, the telephoto is great, and it gets wide enough for my liking. I haven't had a chance to extract photos to the PC yet, but zooming in on the LCD shows less smearing than I saw on the previous gen Panasonics.

With a baby on the way, the ability to take movies was important, and the FZ28 records 720p HD video. I agree that the manual zoom on the FZ50 was nice, but it's a larger body and more bulky. I opted for the smaller

Good luck.
knome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:44 PM   #4

thanks for the input, knome2. i saw the sony h50 today, and really like the tilt LCD, which reminded me of one of the main things I miss about my Canon G3 relative to my current SD500. I really, really like adjustable LCDs. My current SD500 has been great for snapshots over the last couple years, but now that the baby is on the way, I know i'll want something more substantial, and I really like the idea of being able to take pictures of baby, etc., without having a camera pressed up against my face all the time.

I sure wish Canon would have left the adjustable LCD alone on the G series. Would have made all of this a no-brainer for me.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:45 PM   #5

If you have the time, wait another month. It sounds like Canon is going to release a new model called the SX1 IS. It is supposed to be an ultra-zoom, and include an articulating LCD, 10 MP. Some info was accidentally released on the web yesterday, then disappeared within a couple of hours.

"SX1S ($449), a 10 megapixel 20x 28-560mm EVF with an articulated LCD and EX-compatible hotshoe."

Here's a thread on it over on DPR, with this link to a posting that has a link to a Google Cache that still has the announcement link;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29097205

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip, Dennis. After playing with it at Circuit City, I'm really leaning towards the Sony a300 now. I've been itching for a dSLR for a few years. I love digital cameras, but still really miss the feel of a real camera. I had been thinking about the a350 2 lens kit (18-55 and 75-300 if memory serves me right), but by the time I add a decent CF card, UV filter, new bag, battery, etc., I'd most likely be over $1000, which is kind of hard to justify to the wife. If I go with the a300 single lens kit (just the 18-55), I can add a better telephoto lens later, and all I really give up is 4 million pixels, which I'll never use anyway. I'm sure it makes old-fashioned photog's cringe, but I *love* the tilting Live View LCD on the a300 series.

I loved my Canon G3, but at the time I got rid of it a few years ago it was just too bulky for what I needed at the time. Of course now my Canon SD500 is starting to feel too limited. I'd be really interested in the G10, at least if they bring back a tilt/swivel LCD on the series and the SX1-IS, so maybe I will hold out to see what those look like.

Of the non-SLR cameras I've researched so far, I was really starting to lean towards the Panasonic FZ50 and its relatively large sensor and a number of other features. Just my luck, as it has proven difficult to locate, at least at a reasonable price considering its (relative) age.

I've been avoiding dSLRs partly because of the cost, but largely because I know I'll end up tinkering more than taking pictures, which is just much less of an issue with a P-S camera. But I'm starting to think if I just start with a decent body and a basic piece of glass, I'll be able to focus less on playing and more on shooting, and be able to get much better shots of the little one on the way than with any of the point'n'shoot cameras I've looked at.

I've been pretty stuck on Canons to this point, so I'm a bit nervous about switching, but what I've seen here is encouraging. This is an amazing website, I've referenced it for my last several camera purchases. I sure wish similar sites existed for other products--great, honest, no-frills information. Good stuff.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:21 AM   #7

The G10 info I've seen does not indicate a return to the articulating LCD. Here's a thread discussion of the brief amount of info so far;

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=558844

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:39 PM   #8

Does anyone know how good the video is on the FZ28? I mostly take concert videos and I had the FZ18 and it was a DISASTER. The sound was completely muffled. It was just horrible. I LOVE the Panasonics and have a FZ7 and had no problem with the videos onthat camera. OR if anyone knows of a point and shoot camera with an 18x zoom that takes good video, as well as pictures of course, please let me know. I just love the Leica lens on the Panasonic. Thanks in advance!
Deb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:05 PM   #9

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Perhaps this weekend. I know it does HD and SD. HD up to 2gig files, which is roughly 8 minutes per file. Zoom works while filming.
knome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 2:21 AM   #10

OK please let me know when you do but I would need to know how the sound is with music mostly. Thanks!
Deb308 is offline   Reply With Quote