Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:37 PM   #11

GFiLA wrote:
Quote:
i guess the D80 with the 2 lens kit (18-55 VR, 70-300 ED) is now on sale for 1200. Should that camera get consideration even though the body is outdated?
The D80 would work well, as would the new D90, but the 70-300 would not. The maximum aperture is too small to do what you want.

Canon has the 70-200mm f/4.0 for $600 which would work better than a 70-300mm f/4-5.6, but there are better choices. Nikon has an 80-200mm f/2.8 for $915, and Canon has a 70-200mm f/2.8 for $1200. Sigma and Tamron have 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses for $800 and $700, respectively, that fit either Canon or Nikon, with Pentax and Sony RSN. They aren't as sharp as the others, but they're cheaper. Pentax doesn't have anything appropriate, and while Sony does, it's $1,800.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:11 PM   #12

TCav
Thanks you have helped me make the decision. Out with the D60 and in with the Canon. Now the decision is back to xsi kit with additional lens or 40D with the 17-85 or the 28-135mm.
GFiLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:43 PM   #13

The 40D is a better camera, but it doesn't have the Program Auto-Exposure Modes that the XSi does.

People that are moving up to a dSLR often are not familiar enough with their cameras to be able to quickly program their camera without a little guidance. The Program Auto-Exposure Modes in the XSi let you hit the ground running with some of the tools you are probably accustomed to using with your P&S digicam. I came from a film SLR through a P&S digicam to a dSLR that I've had for 31 months, and I still use the Program Auto-Exposure Modes for the ocassional extraordinary situation (like fireworks.)

The 40D is a fine camera, but you'd have to get smart quick.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:38 PM   #14

TCav

You have a great point on the auto exposure modes. That in itself can sway my decision. I have appreciated all of your help in this matter. I am going ot return the d60 and get on e of the canons. I probably will get the xsikit and would be looking for a compliment lens (probably a zoom) to purchase in addition to the 50mm. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The 40D is a better camera, but it doesn't have the Program Auto-Exposure Modes that the XSi does.
Take another look. ;-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...s_40d_pg3.html

The Mode Dial has positions for: Program AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Automatic dept of field AE, full Auto, Portrait mode, Landscape mode, Close-up mode, Sports mode, Night Portrait mode, Flash Off mode, and 3 User custom Settings.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:55 PM   #16

My mistake. I guess I misread the website. Thank you, JimC.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:11 PM   #17

Well first off thanks to all for the input. I returned the D60 and was told again that the D60 would take better picures then the Canon 40D. I am so discusted with the blatent bias toward Nikon i do not think that i will do business with them in the future. It is okay to have a preferrence but they clearly went over board.

I am looking forward to taking picturesa and learning the art.

Thanks again,
GFiLA
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:34 AM   #18

The salesman might be partly right - Nikon D60 is set by default to apply more in-camera post-processing to get sharper punchier Jpeg photos straight out of the camera. Canon 40D uses less in-camera processing and leaves it to the user to tweak the photo in photo editor (PhotoShop or whatever). So if you print a photo without editing it on your computer, Nikons Jpeg will most likely look better than Canon's, which requires more post-processing to be done.

May be Nikon pay better commissions :-).

Anyway, I use Canon 350D adn 40D and happy with both cameras. Used to shoot film with Nikons though :-), but still like Olympus (OM-4 and OM-2) better :-)
algold is offline   Reply With Quote