Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:30 PM   #1

First let me say that I am new to cameras and taking pictures. I have been looking to purchase my first DSLR so i can learn how to take pictues in manual and translate that knowledge to taking pictures underwater. I will not be taking this camera underwater. I am not loyal to any manufacturer nor do i have any older lenses that could sway my decision. I narrowed down the options to 1. Canon XSI kit with maybe an upgraded lens like the 17-85 (like on the 40D kit), 2. just get the 40D kit with the 17-85 lens. I included the 40D becasue it was not much more expensive after purchasing the better lens with the XSI. I was intregued buy the build quality and the shutter speed. Long story short the salesman used the LCD screens to show that the Canon cameras were not as sharp as the Nikon camera. So i expanded the options to include the NikonD60 which i eventually purchased.

I am now thnking that I made a mistake on the purchase and would greatly appreciate some knowledgable input. The difference in shots could be a result of many things that could be independent of the final product. I have a little time to actually exchange the camera if i so choose. One more question does the introducion of the Canon 50D force the 40D and the XSI price to lower?

Thanks
GFiLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:17 PM   #2

your salesman friend probably used a different lens type.

its the GLASS that makes the picture crisp/clear,.. cheap lens =cheap result.

i wouldn't have bought the d60.. if it was me i'd have gone for the 40D

BUT.. in my humble opinion if you wanted a Nikon you should have gone for the D80.

yes.. the release of the 50D and the Nikon D90 will force the price of the others down.. who wants the older model for a similar price??

but . as a beginner theres nothing wrong with the "older model" they are still goood cameras.

i dont know what your budgets are.. but my opinion is buy the best body you can (if its your first) and then build on the lens collection...

of the lot its a flip of the coin (for me) between 40D and D80 .. 40D beter on paper tho with 6fps

(shrug) dont worry too much. i can do things with my fujis5200 that make people think i'm lying when i say its an image from a P&S. (EG.. the wedding i shot)

its all about the user really, if he camera is holding you back you need to buy a camera/lenses that does what you want.

another option could be to keep your d60.. use the money you saved on buying a 50mm prime and then when you feel your skill outmatches the camera.. buy a better body. the lenses will last you a lifetime (you just have to stick to Nikon bodies from then on)

just a humble opinion..

candleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:10 PM   #3

Ultimately, you want to do underwater photography, right?

The camera you'll use for this is not the camera you have now, right?

Be glad you didn't spend a lot of money on a dSLR that will ultimately be just a stepping stone. Learn what you can with the Nikon D60 (which should teach you plenty) and move on.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:50 PM   #4

Sorry after reading my post again i see that i was not very clear. I already have a very good point and shoot with a housing for the underwater photograpghy that i will be using. The DSLR that i have/going to exchange will be the camera that I use and learn on the surface. I do not plan on purchasing another camera for underwater shooting.

I did something like this before when i settled on a Cadillac CTS when i really wanted a better car. Three years later i sold it and got what I wanted all along. It was an expensive lesson. I would like to have a camera that I will not be wanting to get rid of after learning how to use it the correct way.

I appreciate quality and am willing to pay for it if need be. Do it right the first time is my new motto. With that in mind i am still not sure what to do. I have two girls (age 9 & 11) and i would like to be able to photograph them.

Thanks again,
GFiLA
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:46 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Nikon LCDs have had a much higher resolutionthan Canons, until just now with the Canon 50D - which has caught up.

The LCD resolution has nothing to do with the camera's pictureresolution. Most camera salesmen are clueless about the products they sell. If they had a reasonable shot at becoming rocket scientists they wouldn't have ended up in retail would they?

If you have the opportunity to return the D60 then do so. If you don't, don't worry about it, it's a fine little camera, Nikon is on a very hot streak at the moment bringing out some brilliant products. Think of it as an opportunity to put the money into good lenses (which last 10-15 years) instead of a camera body which is likely to only last you 2-4 years. In a few years you will be able to buy a brilliant new body at a much cheaper price.

Just about everyone here would rather have a cheaper camera with better lenses than a great camera with cheap lenses.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:46 AM   #6

OK, so, above the surface of the water, what do you want to take pictures of ?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear your dilemma and the D60 should not come above the 40D so the sales person certainly gave you some dodgy information!!!

Both the Nikon and Canon brands are at the top of the market, they have been for many years and look to stay there due to the vast investment people have made into the lenses.

The important question that has been asked is what you will want to use the camera for as lens choice is going to be very important and it is very true and entry level camera with a good lens will be better than a high end camera with a basic lens (well 90% of the time).

You will find both the D80 and 40D are great cameras and yes, Canon is bringing a new camera out soon with the 50D but so is Nikon with the D90 so there is always something just around the corner.

Let us know a little more and we will try to point you in the right direction.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:04 PM   #8

thanks for the info so far. As for the saleman i actually went to a pretty popular camera shop ( Samy's in Pasadena, Ca.) and still i totally got lead down a path that in hindsight was not where i wanted to go.

People has already helped with the good camera better lenses idea as opposed to the better camera okay lens. I guess the next thougth process would be xsi with an upgraded lens or a 40D with the 17-85 lens which many think is a good lens.

I would love ot take pics of sports but my ability is going to force me to take landscape and marco first until i get comfortable enough with the camera and get my photography vision honed. My daughter rides horses so it would be great to photograph that. She also like drama so that would also be in the cards.

Would indoor picture taking affect choice?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:52 PM   #9

i guess the D80 with the 2 lens kit (18-55 VR, 70-300 ED) is now on sale for 1200. Should that camera get consideration even though the body is outdated?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:23 PM   #10

GFiLA wrote:
Quote:
...My daughter rides horses so it would be great to photograph that. ...
The Canon XSI (and the XTi) have very good autofoucs systems for sports.

I shoot Dressage, which happens in a relatively small show ring. I can get by with 200mm at the longest. But if your daughter jumps, you might need something longer. If she does cross-country, you won't see her long enough to make a long lens worthwhile (unless you're in someplace like Kansas where the ground is flat and there aren't a lot of trees.) The larger the maximum aperture, the better. My favorite lens, right now, is a 70-210mm f/4, but I'm looking for an f/2.8.

GFiLA wrote:
Quote:
... She also like drama so that would also be in the cards.

Would indoor picture taking affect choice?
Taking photos in a theater will require a long lens with a large aperture as well. If the focal length is too short, you'll have to get close and look up at the stage. If the aperture is too small, you'll have to use longer shutter speeds, risking motion blur due to subject movement.

They are very different venues, but the requirements both point to the same kind of lens and camera.

And either way, the Nikon D60 is the wrong camera for you. It has one of the worst autofocus systems in the dLSRs currently available.