Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:52 PM   #1

Hello,

Just about a month ago purchased the following cameras: Panosonic FZ 18 and a Panosonic TZ 5 both are very excellent cameras. However they cannot snap of pictures quite as fast as I need them too so plan to purchase a DSLR and keep this cameras for times when don't want to haul around extra equipment. I also planning on taking photography classes.

I am leaning toward the Sony A200 but also have gave the Sony A350 a look as well is the price difference in the two worth the addition of the live view on the A350? I am not a fan of Canon nothing against them just not a Canon person. Would consider Nikon though. Any insights would help out greatly.
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:42 PM   #2

The difference between the A200 and the A300 is the 'Live View'; the difference between the A300 and the A350 is the 14MP image sensor.

What to you want to take photos of?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Lots of night photos for storm chasing also my son is starting to play sports and often cannot snap the picture with a point and shoot or at least the shot, I wanted. However besides that no complaints about a point and shoot. The Sony A300 may be the better buy for me then do not really see myself needing the extra megapixels.

Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:43 AM   #4

For storm chasing, I think you'll probably need to be as flexible as possible. Tamron (and Sony) has an 18-250 superzoom lens that's the best of its kind. It's not as sharp as lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges, and suffers from chromatic aberration at the long end, but you can go from wide angle to long telephoto with a turn of your wrist.

Tamron will soon be releasing an 18-270mm optically stabilized lens for Canon and Nikon bodies. That broadens your choices somewhat.

Sports gets a lot more complicated. Indoor or outdoor? Outdoor night games?

All of these make a difference.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:20 AM   #5

Would those lenes allow for wildlife photography as well? The sports would be primarly daytime evening with t-ball however some night stuff as he wants to play football as well. What would you recommend the Nikon or the Sony? Thanks for all the help so far.