Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:48 PM   #21
Administrator

Without a better feel for the lighting you're shooting in, it's tough to judge what the results may be. Shooting subjects under the cover of dense forest is one thing, shooting them out in the open where they're getting more light is another.

For example, I take photos beginning right at Sunrise on the banks of the Ogeechee River near Guyton, Georgia from time to time, and I don't mind using ISO 800 or 1600 if I need to until the sun starts coming up a bit higher to help out with blur from subject movement (mostly great nieces and nephews, as they have early morning fishing trips there relatively often). But, if I were trying to shoot that early in the morning under cover of forest, my results may not be acceptable (an understatement the woods are so thick in that area, as you can have a hard enough time even at mid morning). Light is a camera's best friend. ;-)

What is your budget for camera and lenses?

Oops.. said sunset versus sunrise -- now corrected.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:25 PM   #22

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Without a better feel for the lighting you're shooting in, it's tough to judge what the results may be. Shooting subjects under the cover of dense forest is one thing, shooting them out in the open where they're getting more light is another.

For example, I take photos beginning right at Sunrise on the banks of the Ogeechee River near Guyton, Georgia from time to time, and I don't mind using ISO 800 or 1600 if I need to until the sun starts coming up a bit higher to help out with blur from subject movement (mostly great nieces and nephews, as they have early morning fishing trips there relatively often). But, if I were trying to shoot that early in the morning under cover of forest, my results may not be acceptable (an understatement the woods are so thick in that area, as you can have a hard enough time even at mid morning). Light is a camera's best friend. ;-)

What is your budget for camera and lenses?

Oops.. said sunset versus sunrise -- now corrected.
The shooting would mainly be "open", ie: I would be positioned on the edge of a wooded field shooting into/across the field. Very little in the actual woods.

The time of day could be any, but like previously stated the closer the sun to the horizon the more shot opportunities. Maybe along the lines of 60% good light, 40% not so good.

As for the budget, I would like to spend as little as possible, because it will be easier to justify to my lovely wife :? Realistically, looking to keep it under $1,000.

Thanks yet again,

Stephen
whatnoise is offline   Reply With Quote