Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:49 AM   #11
NHL

IMO you need a lot of DOF for car shots!
(especially for interiors images...)

-> Stick with the G9 (i.e. small sensor is great at DOF) or an Olympus with smaller crop!
A WA also makes a car larger than it appears (sometime this is good :-)) but it also get you a larger DOF (i.e. to get both the front and back of the car in focus at the same time)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:58 AM   #12

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THIS GREAT INFORMATION...I WILL DIGEST THIS AFTER WORK THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND I AM SURE I WILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONS...

THANKS AGAIN!!
jharonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:26 PM   #13

Remember to cater to your audience.

The low to the ground, wide angle shots then to make the car look more aggressive or intimidating... which for an exotic car, especially a sports car, is not a bad thing. And buyers of exotic cars tend to be more worldly and therefore more receptive of artistic efforts.

My mom buying her Buick is not going to be very receptive of a photo showcasing the tires and brake lights so the photos better be distortion free eye level / eye angle shots that give her clear idea of the scale of the features of the car.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:18 PM   #14

Question...

I understand that using a DSLR there will be quite a bit of time invested into the Post Processing of the shots because these shots come out flatter than using a simple p&s

the question i have...is there not a custom user shooting mode...or vivid setting in the canon or nikon (or any big time DSLR for that matter)...if I preset this mode or use the VIVID shooting mode will these shots still requir a good amount of PP...or again am I better off sticking with my G9 or another real good P&S

thanks
jharonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:53 PM   #15
Administrator

Most dSLR models have a variety of adjustments and modes to help you tweak the output more to your liking (although the names and types of adjustments sometimes differ). Read through the reviews for cameras you're interested in and the available options are usually shown. The amount of difference an adjustment makes tends to vary by camera model.

For example, the Sony A300 (one of the dSLR models I mentioned with a tilting LCD you could use with Live View) can be set to Vivid, with adjustments for other parameters like Contrast, Saturation and Sharpening. See this thread where one of our members was showing the impact of the Sony A300's Vivid mode:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

You'll find that many other cameras have similar adjustments (but, the amount of difference a given setting makes will vary by camera, with the entry level models tending to give a bit punchier photos compared to higher end models by default, since many advanced shooters prefer more conservative image processing). I tend to leave my Sony A700 set to Standard/Default settings for most parameters. But, others may prefer a different look.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:19 AM   #16
NHL

jharonis wrote:
Quote:
I understand that using a DSLR there will be quite a bit of time invested into the Post Processing of the shots because these shots come out flatter than using a simple p&s...

...or again am I better off sticking with my G9 or another real good P&S
Before given up on a P&S you should also consider an Olympus 4/3 seriously:
1. With a smaller sensor it'll get you a larger DOF closer to a P&S than any other dSLR will
2. The Oly has image stabization so you won't need that tripod as much
3. Since you will be cropping to 4:3 an Oly will also maximize all its resolution on the image whereas you'll be throwing away in post-edit all the 3:2 side areas with any other dSLRs
-> Effectively you'll be getting a lower resolution camera for the type of pictures you'll be doing with most other brands
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:19 AM   #17

jharonis wrote:
Quote:
...Usually take about 100 pics per vehicle ...
What do you do with that number of photos of each vehicle?
jharonis wrote:
Quote:
... (would love to have a slr that had the 4:3 ratio but i believe i am limited to olympus at that point...would love it if I did not have to crop each photo...we need to post pics on the web @ 640x480 so each pic would need to be cropped from 3:2 to 4:3) ...
There is no reason to crop to 4:3 for the web. There even is no reason to have a rectangular crop for the web. If you want to emphsize the length of a vehicle you might do better with something like a 2:1 or even 3:1 aspect ratio.

A couple of major advantages of dSLRs come into play with large images and/or low light. Neither of those apply to you. What advantage do you think a dSLR will give you?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:23 AM   #18
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... cropping to 4:3 an Oly will also maximize all its resolution on the image whereas you'll be throwing away in post-edit all the 3:2 side areas with any other dSLRs
-> Effectively you'll be getting a lower resolution camera for the type of pictures you'll be doing with most other brands
He only needs 640x480 photos. ;-) You've got loads of resolution for much larger display sizes that than, even cropping heavily. You could also go to a 14MP model in the A350. lol But, I just don't see the point for images that small. As for stabilization, the Sony bodies already have that, too; and you could easily bump up the ISO speed if needed for viewing sizes that small.

An Oly would eliminate the need to crop to 4:3 Aspect Ratio later though. So, that's got it's advantages. Ditto for increased Depth of Field.

But, the only current Olympus model with a tilting LCD for Live View is the E3, with a body only price of around $1469 now at discounters like buydig.com. You could buy a Sony A300 with a high quality Carl Zeiss 16-80mm lens and throw in a flash for that much money, by the time you added a better lens to the E-3.

If I were taking 100 photos per vehicle, and wanted to use more interesting angles (i.e., taken from much lower camera angles), an tilting LCD for use with Live View would be a very nice to have feature, so that I wouldn't be crawling on the ground trying to get the shots. ;-)

Pros and Cons... The Olympus E-3 is a professional grade camera body. So, it's going to be a more durable body and I would take that into consideration. It looks like buydig.com has pretty decent kit for $2299 right now, with a higher quality lens and flash.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OME3KTP

Another option would be an Olympus E-330. It's got a better Live View system compared to the E-3 from what I can see from comments from Oly owners (it's Live View design is similar to the Sony's), and it's also got an tiliting LCD. Amazingly, it looks like Best Buy still has some of them in stock (but, I'd make sure it's not a mistake, since this camera model has been discontinued for a long while now).

Olympus E-330 at bestbuy.com for $999.99

It's too bad Sony didn't include 4:3 grid lines on the LCD wtih a 4:3 Aspect shooting mode so that you wouldn't need to leave a bit of extra room and crop later. Sony did include a 16:9 mode, so that it matches up to the HDMI output, but no 4:3.

But, you could always mark the Sony's LCD with your own lines for 4:3 if composition was a concern for 640x480 images and batch the images using something like jpegcrops

The Olympus models would have around 2 stops advantage for shots where you wanted more depth of field. But, you could always stop down the aperture more with a Sony solution (and for 640x480 viewing sizes, any loss of quality from diffraction shouldn't be noticeable).

Yet another option is to simply keep the G9. :-) Then, get a wide angle lens adapter for it.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:27 AM   #19
Administrator

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
There is no reason to crop to 4:3 for the web. There even is no reason to have a rectangular crop for the web. If you want to emphsize the length of a vehicle you might do better with something like a 2:1 or even 3:1 aspect ratio.
Bill makes a good point... Why do you need a 4:3 aspect ratio?

A number of newer camera models support a 16:9 aspect ratio now (including the Sony A300 I've mentioned) for a wider image, which could have some advantages over other formats for many types of photos.

Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:42 AM   #20
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Why do you need a 4:3 aspect ratio?
For prints (to pass-out) and frames...

Most print materials are not 3:2... and when I gave 3:2 prints to my friends/relatives they'll have difficulty finding frames (or mats)!
-> Which they cropped right off... :G:-):lol: