Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:55 AM   #21

Which olympus would you reccomend...the big guy...E3

and what lens would you consider

price not being a big factor...(i dont mind investing 2-3k for the right solution)

thanks
jharonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:01 AM   #22

need the 4:3...most vehicle websites have the 4:3 requirement...if I upload 3:2...they will crop and post...and I have seen the butcher jobs they do...not worth the effort to have them do it...they just want to quickly crop and post and dont care if they chop off half of the from bumber in the process...

so none of the sony's have a 4:3...??

thanks
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:22 AM   #23
Administrator

Not Sony's dSLR models.

With the exception of the Olympus models, all major dSLR brands use a sensor that has a 3:2 aspect ratio, just like 35mm film. So, that works out perfect for 4x6" prints without any cropping (which is the most common print size for consumers now).

If you went with a Sony solution, you could batch process the images to crop them to 4:3 using a tool like jpegcrops, and mark the LCD yourself as an aid to composition using some tiny marks of some type so that you're not intefering with menus (so that the image would be composed properly for batch cropping later without needing to "tweak" every one). Or, just get accustomed to leaving a bit of extra room instead.

An Oly solution would eliminate needing to do that if you need to use 4:3, and that solution does have the advantage of more depth of field for a given focal length and aperture (thanks to the smaller sensor in these models compared to competing dSLR models).

If you want Live View with a tilting LCD (which I think would be useful for photos from lower angles, so that you're not crawling on the ground as much to get them), you've only got 4 choices in dSLR models right now: Sony A300, Sony A350, Olympus E-3, Olympus E-330 (discontinued model, but you may be able to find one), with the Sony models and the older E-330 having the most responsive Live View options.

You may also want to consider a different point and shoot model using a lens that's a bit wider to start out with. But, your G9 is a pretty good camera model for image quality as non-dSLR models go, and it would have more depth of field compard to any of the dSLRs.

On the other side of the equation, you may not always want more depth of field. For example, you may want to take some photos with a shallower depth of field, so that the vehicle stands out more from distracting backgrounds, and the use of wider apertures can help you get blurrier backgrounds, where you couldn't really do that with your Canon.

Unfortunately, yoru cameras's lens doesn't start out that wide (equivalent to 35mm). But, you could use the Canon LA-DC58F adapter with a Canon WC-DC58B 0.7x Wide Converter lens with it (giving you a focal length with the same angle of view you'd have using a 24.5mm lens on a 35mm camera) to help out.

Wtih a dSLR solution, you could go wider than you'd get with a wide angle adapter on the G9 using a different lens if desired (for example, the Ultra Wides I mentioned in my earlier post). That would allow more creativity using perspective. But, don't expect to get great photos with a dSLR without some learning curve involved (for example, you'd need to learn how aperture settings, focal length and focus distance impact depth of field and perspective for best results, which would take some practice).

Exactly what is it that you don't like about the G9, other than wanting the ability to use a wider focal length?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:59 AM   #24

I do like the G9...I was of the thought process that if I spent more $$ on a big solution it would give me better all around shots...

Maybe I should be taking the baby steps here and learn the fundamentals of fotography so i can easily identify weaknesses/strengths of each camera option...

do you have any good recomendations regarding a cd/dvd tutorial on the solid basics of photography...

I saw elitevideo.com had a dvd learning course on the Canon 40d...the previews seemed rather comprehensive...they claim that their course is all encompasing...

thanks
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:29 AM   #25
Administrator

Not really, although some other members here may chime in with some.

You'll also find a lot of free online resources available. For example, camera manufacturers usually have online tutorials to help out like this site from Sony:

Sony Photo School

You'll find similar sites from Canon, Nikon and others (sometimes geared towards specific camera models).

The basic principles of photography are going to be the same for both film and digital, so you may want to visit your library and look for books on basic photography that can help explain things like exposure, and how aperture, shutter speed and more impact your images. Ditto for areas like composition and lighting.

Just keep in mind that some things like using wider apertures for a shallow depth of field when needed to help your subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds are not going to work well for larger subjects using a camera like your G9 (because of it's smaller sensor, it's going to have much greater depth of field for a given subject framing and aperture compared to a camera model with a larger sensor or film size). That can be a good thing i(for example, making it easier to get more of an image in focus like you may want to do with some of your vehicle shots), or a bad thing, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:29 PM   #26

thanks for the last post...

photography 101 it is!!