Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:43 AM   #11

backyarder1 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it is the IS USM lens. The lens is so heavy, I don't think I can ever hold it steady, no matter how fast I am shooting. And my tripod isn't the greatest.
You might be better off with a good monopod with a ball head. It's easier to move around, the monopod willhold the weight, and the ball head will allow you to shift quickly.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Super Moderator

It's difficult when you are that focal length to get something much lighter. You could go for the Canon 400mm f5.6 but you lose IS and also the zoom but it is a little bit lighter and also sharper.

Apart from that there is nothing else really to consider without being heavier. The mono pod might be a workable idea, or stick with the tripod.

As for the noise, I agree there should be very few issues with your camera and it has pretty good control compared to other manufacturers in the range.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:20 AM   #13

Thanks again. I have a monopod, but I don't think that is the answer for me. Even that seems to shift slightly on me. (I'm a real weakling!)

As for cameras, if I go for a more expensive camera, will it help any? Do the best cameras really offer better noise levels at high ISO? The problem there is that they are heavier.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll research the lenses and probably invest in a good tripod and try to find a good local photographer that might be willing to give me some tips.

backyarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Sounds like a tripod upg is the way to go then.

As for noise improving with higher end cameras yes it is true, I shoot with the 30D, 5D and 1D MKIII and as you go through these the noise handling gets better.

Here is a shot at ISO400 from the 1D MKIII with a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and 2x TC, it's not the sharpest shot but shows the noise.

Here are 3 shots from the 5D with Canon 70-200mm f2.8at ISO 3200, the first is the full image and then you have 2 100% crop areas one more for highlights and then a shadow area.

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:19 AM   #15

Excellent example. Thanks! Now all I have to do is win the lottery and I'll be able to afford your camera setup.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Super Moderator

LOL, I'm fortunate to have my 'toys' in the bag but as you can see your noise at 400 although higher is not terrible. If you use some good software, I personally use noiseware, then you will be able to get very good results.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:24 AM   #17

Thanks. The lighting and skin tones of the photo you used are excellent. I'm sure that is much more a factor of you knowing what you are doing rather than the good equipment. That, too, you seem to have in the bag.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Super Moderator

A bit of skill, a bit of luck and a bit of kit. They were from a gymnastics shoot (you can see more here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82) so I had set manual for everything which gave pretty good results straight out of the camera.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:09 PM   #19

If that is true, I need to buy that camera!!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:44 PM   #20
Administrator

backyarder1 wrote:
Quote:
If that is true, I need to buy that camera!!
Don't forget... Because your camera model is using a smaller APS-C size sensor, you'll have a narrower angle of view for any given focal length compared to a model with a larger sensor or film size.

For example, to get the same angle of view you'd have using the 400mm end of your lens would require a 640mm lens on a model like the EOS-5D using a sensor the same size as 35mm film (you have to multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see how they'd compare). That's why I mentioned this in my previous posts:

Quote:
Are your photos mostly wildlife type shots like that? If so, then a full frame solution (i.e., Canon EOS-5D, Nikon D700) may not be as practical, because of the wider angle of view you'd have without additional cropping.
So, you'd need to crop an image more than you already are for the same framing in the end unless you use a longer focal length lens, which can degrade quality at a given viewing print/viewing size if you want the same pixel density for representing subject detail.

IOW, there are tradeoffs involved with a camera using a larger sensor size, and depending on the subject and conditions, those tradeoffs may or may not be worth it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote