Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:36 AM   #1

Hi everyone, newbie here. I'm looking for a compact digital camera with a 5x or more optical zoom that records HD video that also allows zooming while recording video. Also, I don't know if this feature is currently available on digital cameras, but image stabilization during video recording would be great also.

Also, the added bonus of the camera taking great pics would be great.

I'm not trying to spend more than $300.

Thank you.
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:21 PM   #2

I just posted this in response to a similar question the other day:

You should check out the Panasonic TZ-5. 10x zoom, 9MP, great image quality, image stabilization. I'm not sure about low light performance, but there's really only so much you can expect in that department from a compact point and shoot camera. Also not sure about stabilization while shooting video, but I'd imagine if this camera doesn't have it, then it isn't available in this type of camera.

On top of all that, the camera can shoot surprisingly good quality 720p video, and you can zoom while shooting movies.

It's not exactly ultracompact, but it's far from large, too. A bit wider than a the Canon SD1000, about the same height and thickness.

I've always had good luck with Canons especially regarding reliability and longevity. The SD1100IS is supposed to be a great little camera. My current point and shoot is an SD500, but I've been very tempted to switch brands the more I've seen the TZ-5. It is a remarkable little camera.

Incidentally, Dell Home has a great deal on this camera at the moment.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayitem.cfm/133776
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I had already seen the TZ5 recommended on another site, but I was unsure if there might be other options. Your recommendation just further reinforces my leaning towards buying it. Thanks.

And, at $249.99, you can't beat it.
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote