Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Administrator

Most of the entry level dSLR models have a relatively fast write speed to media anymore. For example, many can shoot at 3fps (or even faster) for a lot of frames before any slowdown with a fast card (and some have no limit at all until a card is full shooting jpeg). If you read the review conclusions here for models you consider, you'll usually see camera performance tested.

As for video with a dSLR, it still has a ways to go from what I can gather looking at the D90's capabilities. For example, you lose Autofocus entirely shooting video with the new D90 (manual focus only). But, it's a neat feature that I expect to see in more models as time passes with improving functionality over time in newer models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:12 AM   #12

JohnG

I am still looking....someone mentioned I might like the Pentax K200D

Do you know anything about this camera? They said I would have more options with lenses since the anti shake is in the camera not in the lenses.

I like that it is weather sealed. This could be a plus for me since it will be use at pools.

It doesn't shoot as many FPS as the D90. Doesn't have the video. But would I ge able to get the shots that I want? I would love to be able to capture from the side of the pool the start, middle and entry of the dive.
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:26 AM   #13

spinning wrote:
Quote:
JohnG

I am still looking....someone mentioned I might like the Pentax K200D

Do you know anything about this camera? They said I would have more options with lenses since the anti shake is in the camera not in the lenses.

I like that it is weather sealed. This could be a plus for me since it will be use at pools.

It doesn't shoot as many FPS as the D90. Doesn't have the video. But would I ge able to get the shots that I want? I would love to be able to capture from the side of the pool the start, middle and entry of the dive.
Well there are a couple things here:

1. Pentax AF is going to be a dramatic step down from Nikon D90. Pentax has some nice cameras but not for sports shooting - at least not compared to Canon, Nikon and now Sony.

2. Having more lens options. It depends on what you mean by this. Having IS in the body means all your lenses will have IS. But, the pentax system as a whole has less lens options than Nikon. Especially where sports is concerned. And yes they can use every Pentax lens ever made - but many of those lenses are manual focus. Lens availability continues to be an issue for Pentax cameras.

3. IS isn't going to be a huge benefit for sports. Much more critical is the focus system, sharpness and speed of the lenses.

4. Movies. Guess I'm a purist. I buy a DSLR to take outstanding photos. I wouldn't sacrifice photo capability just to have a movie mode. So the presence or absence of movie mode wouldn't sway my decision. I would also expect it to not be too great right out of the gate. It will take a couple generations for it to improve.

5. Weather sealing - yes it's nice, but splash from a pool is not going to do a darn thing to any DSLR. The biggest thing to worry about is getting the water on your lens element (always shoot with a lens hood to help prevent this when shooting from the deck). That chlorine water creates nasty spots.

Bottom line? I would not recommend any Pentax camera for sports. Great for other purposes but the system isn't close to the same league as Canon, Nikon and Sony for sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote