Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:33 PM   #21

Thanks a lot guys! I just ordered my A300! Now I'm shopping for accessories and I need your help on that

I guess a Compact Flash card and a carrying case is what I would need now. Are there any recommended specifications I should be looking for? I know larger memory capacity and faster writing speeds are always a good thing. But is it necessary for my camera?

Sony's 4GB CompactFlash is $79.99. It has a writing speed of 20 MB per second:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...p;tab=Features

I also found a 4GB Sandisk for $35 (the 8GB one is $44):
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...p;tab=descript

This 4GB one was only $18:
http://www.supermediastore.com/adata...h-cf-card.html

With regards to cases, the one which Sony carries looks sweet but its $99.99:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665235292

The uglier one from Digpro is $32.95:
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...p;tab=descript

Any suggestions?

Thanks once again,
Nev

nev81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:15 AM   #22
Administrator

I've been using a 16GB Transcend 133x Compactflash card for most of my images since October of last year. I've taken thousands of photos with it in several different camera models, including my Sony A700, with no issues at all. These have very nice prices and a lifetime warranty (click on the images at newegg.com for them and you'll see the warranty on the packaging). So, you may want to consider one of those. They're available in sizes from 2GB to 32GB now.

Transcend 133x Compactflash cards at newegg.com

The Sandisk Extreme III would make a pretty good choice, too (but, they're a more expensive card and you probably won't see any difference in performance with one in most cases from what I can tell using a Transcend 133x in my Sony).

My newest camera case is relatively old. So, I don't keep up with the cases much anymore. Something with decent padding between compartments that you can rearrange if needed is a good thing. I'd look probably look at some of the Tamrac models on the budget end.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:55 AM   #23

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for the help. I am thinking of getting the 8 GB Transcend from Amazon for $29.25:
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS8G...ef=pd_sim_p_18

Amazon is also carrying the Sony case for $74.72. Because it has Sony written on the case, I'll probably go for it It also comes with a free rechargeable battery:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ACC-AMFM1...M24RSDT1MTYR2G

Do you see any flags in me getting these products? Are there any more accessories I should be getting?

Thanks,
Nev
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:03 AM   #24
Administrator

That looks like a good price for that Transcend. Newegg.com's is almost the same now ($23.49+$6.99 shipping and they usually have some of the best prices around on memory cards, with very fast order processing and shipping).

Have you got a card reader? I'd probably grab one if you don't. They're very inexpensive.

Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:27 AM   #25

Thanks a lot Jim. I'll get those items. My friends have card readers with them and I can borrow it when needed. If I'm capturing pictures, I will be mostly hanging out with that group

And thanks again to both of you for the help. I have never bought an electronic item after a day of research. I usually spend quite a bit of time. But I am glad I did it this time though

Thanks so much,
Nev
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:52 AM   #26

My personal preference is to have several smaller cards than a few larger cards. That's the old 'eggs' and 'basket' thing.

I would also get another battery. Keep one in the charger while the other is in the camera. (I actually have 3 batteries and 2 chargers.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:52 AM   #27
Administrator

nev81 wrote:
Quote:
My friends have card readers with them and I can borrow it when needed. If I'm capturing pictures, I will be mostly hanging out with that group
Your wording makes me thing I meant a portable storage device with a reader of some type.

Just to make sure you understood, I meant a USB CompactFlash Card reader for your PC, so you can plug in Compactflash card to copy your photos faster. You could use the camera directly attached via USB if desired. But, a card reader is usually faster, and you don't have to worry about the camera's battery being charged to transfer images.

USB 2.0 External Card readers with Compactflash support at newegg.com

Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:04 AM   #28

No, I got what you said. Most of my friends have cameras and so they have card readers to download images to the PC. I see myself taking pictures once in every 2-3 weeks, so I believe my friends will let me borrow their card readers

The camera case I got from Amazon actually comes with an additional battery. I guess they would have compromised on the quality of the bag for giving it at that price. At least right now, it does not seem to matter that much.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:12 AM   #29
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
My personal preference is to have several smaller cards than a few larger cards. That's the old 'eggs' and 'basket' thing.
I think you're probably less likely to have a problem with one larger card if you're taking enough photos so that you'd need to swap cards in the field (which would risk damage to card slot or card, as well as your having a chance of losing one).

I'd just make sure to format your card prior to every reuse using the camera's menu choice for format (not your PC). That way, you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format, reducing any chance of undetected FAT corruption that may come back to bite you later. I've been using a Transcend 16GB 133x Card that way since October with no issues, and it's been used in a number of fast dSLR models including my A700.

I think a spare is a good idea though. Any card can fail (Sandisk, Lexar, Transcend, etc.). In most cases when that happens, you only have FAT corruption and can recover the images (although component failures do happen). I just don't think a larger card is any more likely to fail compared to a smaller one, especially if you factor in any risk from swapping cards in the field if a smaller card fills up.

Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:22 AM   #30

That's a good point. I shall definitely consider getting an additional CF card. It might come in handy on a long vacation. Thanks again!