Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:06 PM   #11

Nothing spectacular... Just a basic Minolta AF 70-210 1:4.5-5.6 Lens.

imported-optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:22 PM   #12

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
Nothing spectacular... Just a basic Minolta AF 70-210 1:4.5-5.6 Lens.
KEH.com sells that one for about $50. It will work, but I don't think it should sway your decision at all.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:27 PM   #13

No it does not sway my decision at all. I'm just not sure if it'd be better to go with a Sony Alpha Dslr or a Pentax Dslr. Olympus as of now is out due to the pricey lenses. I understand you get what you pay for with glass. And if I do buy 3rd party it will be decent. When I owned my Nikons I had all Nikkor lenses. I do not buy horrible lenses.

It all comes down to what camera to get.
Alpha or K200d
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:56 PM   #14

The Sony A200 and the Pentax K200D are as similar as two cameras can be.

What do you want to shoot? Pentax has a better, more affordableselection of large aperture primes, but Sony has a better, albeit more expensive, selection of telephotos, some of which are the best in their class.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:01 PM   #15

I will be shooting mostly... Macro (flowers insects), Athletics (football games), and landscapes.

Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:24 PM   #16

I shoot Pentax and love both of my cameras (I have the older K100 and the higher end K20). The nice thing about Pentaxis thatany of the Pentax cameras can use any K-mount lenses and they will have the same functions as they had when they were made (i.e., manual focus lenses will still be manual focus, but any auto focus lenses will maintain their ability to auto focus, no matter when they were made). Since auto focus can sometimes work against you when shooting macro (especially if you are hand-holding), it can be really economical to buy an older manual focus lens. There are 30 years worth of lenses out there that will work (more if you buy M42 lenses but they require an adaptor), and they will all be stabilized because the stabilization is in the camera body (like the Sony). My own macro lens is a Vivitar Series One 105mm and I bought it last year for $250 on ebay. It's a lovely lens, definitely worth that price, but manual focus.

Pentax also has a good selection of prime lenses - some are really outstanding. They have been doing a good job recently of filling the longer telephoto end of things (there's a high quality 300mm primeanda less expensive, consumer grade 55-300 which is what I've been considering getting), as well as some fast zooms. Both Sigma and Tamron are expanding their product line for Pentax mount cameras.

Most of my stuff is landscape and macro, some wildlife, butnot much sports (an occasional trip to the track or the tennis courts, that's about it). I've been very happy with my Pentax and I've managed to collect several very nice lenses without spending more than $800 for any of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:25 PM   #17

If it's just between Sony and Pentax, I think Sony has a better autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife than Pentax.

For everything else, it's a toss up.

Sony has the A300, which is an A200 with 'Live View' on an articulating display (which may be handy for macro) and the A350, which is a 14MP version of the A300.

Pentax has the K20D, which is roughly equivalent to the A350, though the 'Live View' display is non-articulated.

Sony also has the A700 which is a 12MP (semi-) professional dSLR. No, it won't do multiple exposures. Sorry.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:55 AM   #18

While it is correct that olympus has a smaller selection of lens than canon or nikon, they are quite good, and not that expensive.

Now, there are some "holes" in what is offered for olympus, especially with regards to primes.

But in terms of a balance of price, performance, and versatility, there are some lens that are as good if not better than what others have available for the same price range and focal range.

The kit lenses (14-42, 42-150 or 70-300) are generally considered to be among the best kit lenses out there (might not be saying much, but if you are staying with the kit, they are really quite good for a kit.

And the 12-60, 14-54 and 50-200 have excellent reviews as well.

Now, if the d40 is too small, the 510 will likely be too small as well.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:18 AM   #19

Live view, I really do not care for. Sure it's futuristic and a milestone in the Dslr era, but I have no need for it as of now, though again it'd be cool for macro.

Live view will not effect my decision.

Evolt 510 is rather small after looking at it. I need a big camera, I have larger hands then most people hence me wanting something a bit heavier and larger (odd... I know) So Olympus is still out.

I am still undecided though mtngal I'm glad you gave me some pro's on pentax.
Tcav I'm even more happy you brought up the autofocus system.

I'm going to browse around and look at prices, specs, lenses and other various things.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:43 AM   #20
Administrator

If you don't care about Live View, the A200 has a larger viewfinder compared to the Sony A300 or A350 models, with great "bang for the buck" at only $499.99 for a kit including an 18-70mm lens (giving you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-105mm lens on a 35mm camera).

It also has much faster write speeds to memory cards compared to the Pentax K200D if you plan on shooting any action type events using continuous drive mode (the Sony can shoot jpeg fine images at around 3fps until a fast memory card is full, whereas the Pentax will slow down after about half a dozen frames when it's internal buffer fills up). The Sony's Autofocus speed is also faster.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote