Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:44 PM   #1

I am looking at the Pentax K200d pretty heavily as well as the Olympus Evolt 510.
These are two new brands to me. I have owned a pentax p&s camera before and an olympus p&s but never DSLR. I have owned a dslr before though a Nikon D40.

My question...

Which has better value?

Does the Pentax have a wide range of lenses including 3rd party (i.e. Sigma) and lenses from an earlier time like 35mm film lenses mountable on the K200d.

Same with the Olympus 510 does it have a wide var. of lenses even some that date back to the 35mm age.

And any experience out there?

I do know the Olympus comes with a two lens kit which is nice. But the pentax too comes with a *decent* kit lens.

I am a serious amateur looking to shoot anything from wildlife to athletics to landscapes to macro. I will be buying a 35mm slr body of the same brand I decide.
I.E. If I go with the K200d I'll buy a pentax 35mm body. Same with Olympus. Hence me wanting a lens mount on the digital that can switch. So I can take off my prime lens from the DSLR and swap it with the telephoto lens from the 35mm.

I am sorry I'm being picky.
In help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ron

imported-optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:47 PM   #2

Some additional info would be useful:

1. What is it about the D40 you don't like?

2. Why are you buying a film SLR in addition to the DSLR? What is it you perceive the film SLR can do for you that the DSLR cannot?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:06 PM   #3

1.) D40 was to small, lacked a motor drive and I did not care for the ergonomics.
2.) I develop my own 35mm. It's a hobby. Also a 35mm camera can make a multi exposure (which very very very few digitals can do) I understand you can manipulate a multi exposure by overlapping images... But... WHAT FUN IS THAT!

Now, I can forget the whole 35mm concept but I do not think film is dying anytime soon do to the fact that it has super high resolution.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:13 PM   #4

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
Does the Pentax have a wide range of lenses including 3rd party (i.e. Sigma) and lenses from an earlier time like 35mm film lenses mountable on the K200d.
Not as wide as Canon and Nikon, but yes.

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
Same with the Olympus 510 does it have a wide var. of lenses even some that date back to the 35mm age.
No. When Olympus went digital, they abandoned their mount and developed something new: the 4/3 Mount. No old Olympus lenses will mount to new Olympus bodies. And the selection of OEM lenses is small and expensive, and third party lenses are rare.

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
I am a serious amateur looking to shoot anything from wildlife to athletics to landscapes to macro. I will be buying a 35mm slr body of the same brand I decide.
I.E. If I go with the K200d I'll buy a pentax 35mm body. Same with Olympus. Hence me wanting a lens mount on the digital that can switch. So I can take off my prime lens from the DSLR and swap it with the telephoto lens from the 35mm.
Only Canon and Nikon still make 35mm film SLRs. You can get a used Pentax 35mm film SLR that can use the same lenses, but not so with the Olympus. In addition, most dSLRs use image sensors that are smaller than a 35mm film exposure, so the same lens will have a different angle of view on a dSLR as it does on a film SLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:21 PM   #5

I was planning on buying a used Pentax 35mm slr of course =D.

I do understand that my digital slr will not have a chunk of silicon the size of a 35mm film slide does. Though it would be nice if I could offered one.

Olympus is starting to make me frown a bit. With the lenses.

I will say this... I did shoot an old minolta back in the day.
Of course we all know Sony bought Minolta's Camera line.

... I was looking at the Sony Alpha DSLR. But I heard it was more of an expensive point and shoot camera from Youtube reviews. Do you think Sony alpha would out beat the Pentax? I mean I'm not an expert hence me being here :-)

I bring up Sony alpha because I believe they can accept old minolta lenses
Parts of this bulletin board may not function unless you enable JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) in your browser.
Enter your search terms
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:23 PM   #6

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
1.) D40 was to small, lacked a motor drive and I did not care for the ergonomics.
Actually, the D40 can shoot 2.5 frames per second in Continuous (Burst Mode). (See page 32 of the manual.)

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
2.) ... Also a 35mm camera can make a multi exposure (which very very very few digitals can do) ...
That's what post processing is for.

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
... I understand you can manipulate a multi exposure by overlapping images... But... WHAT FUN IS THAT!
Just as much fun as doing itin the darkroom, plus you can keep the lights on!

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
Now, I can forget the whole 35mm concept but I do not think film is dying anytime soon do to the fact that it has super high resolution.
Actually, the resolution of current image sensors surpasses that of film.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:26 PM   #7
Administrator

You can get an adapter to use Olympus OM manual focus lenses on an Olympus 4/3 camera model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...M_Adapter.html

Sony Apha dSLR models can use any Minolta Autofocus lens (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Alpha, Maxxum mount), and they'd all be stabilized, thanks to an in body stabilization system. Manual focus lenses won't work without an adapter.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:27 PM   #8

For the D40 Motor drive, I used the wrong terminology. I was getting at it cannot auto focus with nikon lenses except AF-s and AF-i mount.

Well I still wish to have the 35mm slr just for the enjoyment of developing film.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:28 PM   #9

The ALPHA sounds like a good choice as well then.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:00 PM   #10

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
The ALPHA sounds like a good choice as well then.
What Minolta lenses do you have?