Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:00 PM   #1

Hi all, I'm after some help.

My missus is a manager at a private day nursery, and as part of the health and safety, she has to take photos of the kids who have allergies. Can only use the nurseries own camera, and can't take ours in, how daft is that!!!

And she only has a budget of £50.

So if possible, I'm looking for a digital camera, which takes decent enough photos, and use a rechargeable battery rather than normal batteries.

Appreciate any help on this
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:08 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll find a section for "Entry Level" models that may help to narrow down choices within your budget in Steve's Best Camera's List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

See the specifications section in reviews for battery type and make sure to read the review conclusion (last page before the sample images in each model's review) to get a better idea of how they compare.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:18 PM   #3
Administrator

Or, maybe not, based on what I can see of U.K. prices.

I'd check out the latest reviews on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com and see if any of them are priced where you need them to be. If not, perhaps some of our forum members will chime in with tips. We have a number of members living in the U.K. that understand that market a lot better than I do.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:42 PM   #4

Check out the UK Ebay for prices on the Canon A560. You might be able to get one within your budget. It's a decent camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the help.

Found this camera so far:

Polaroid M737t - £49.99 inc case and 1GB memory card. I reckon this could well do the job.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...d/Product.html
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:07 AM   #6

Manchester wrote:
Quote:

My missus is a manager at a private day nursery, and as part of the health and safety, she has to take photos of the kids who have allergies. Can only use the nurseries own camera, and can't take ours in, how daft is that!!!

So if possible, I'm looking for a digital camera, which takes decent enough photos, and use a rechargeable battery rather than normal batteries.

If you contact my much-loved local camera shop in Wrexham, they have a frequently updated leaflet that they'll send you, with lots of budget digicams reviews in it (many of their customers are impecunious). Their phone number and email are on their website. I'd ring them up, explain the problem, and ask their advice. Ideally ask for Rhod or Steve. Their details are on their website http://www.wrexcam.com.

Really cheap ones won't be among their 'recommended cameras' on the site, but they'll have a good idea what will do the job, as they test lots of cheap models.

PS. I just looked, and they do recommend the Odys 5300 for £35. It only has a digital zoom, but they say it'll do reasonable 10x8 prints without it.The shots would be best taken outdoors with plenty of light, I'd guess. Like I say, ring & ask them what they've got.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:15 AM   #7

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Manchester wrote:
Quote:

If you contact my much-loved local camera shop in Wrexham, they have a frequently updated leaflet that they'll send you, with lots of budget digicams reviews in it (many of their customers are impecunious). Their phone number and email are on their website. I'd ring them up, explain the problem, and ask their advice. Ideally ask for Rhod or Steve. Their details are on their website http://www.wrexcam.com.

Really cheap ones won't be among their 'recommended cameras' on the site, but they'll have a good idea what will do the job, as they test lots of cheap models.
Thanks Alan
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:05 PM   #8

Manchester wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Found this camera so far:

Polaroid M737t - £49.99 inc case and 1GB memory card. I reckon this could well do the job.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...d/Product.html
I'd buy a cheap Kodak or Samsung before buying a Polaroid. Although it has the same name as the company that's responsible for instant picture cameras, it's a totally different company.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote