Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:28 PM   #11

wise wrote:
Quote:
I compared the images of sony H50 with those of FZ18 at 400 iso at imaging-resource.com and found that FZ-18 IQ was better. Ditto with S5 IS, the image quality of FZ-18 was better.
Compare the FZ28 and the H50 here and the answer is not as clear cut as you would make it seem: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3560&ph=1

Or if you like the FZ18/H50: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3560&ph=1
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:57 PM   #12

There's a new ultra-zoom announced by Canon today, the SX10 IS (USA) or SX1 IS (Europe/Asia now, USA later?).

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...rshot+sx10+sx1

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:49 PM   #13

Dennis-

Many thanks for the Canon suggestion. However, as that Canon lens zooms out to 20X, andit gets dimmer, and dimmer, and dimmer. In all honesty, Dennis, the newly introduced Canon is not a very good camera option at all when compared to the other camera possibilities on the market.

I will be happy to fall back and use my Fuji S-6000 from 2006, which was really a much better camera. here is a Fuji S-6000 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:52 PM   #14

Dennis-

The Panasonic FZ-28 at $(US) 325.00 is a much better camera, at least optically,than the proposed Canon SX-10, and it costs a lot less! Food for thought!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:57 AM   #15

This is all good input. I have a few varied questions, though, as I try to upgrade from my Canon S1IS that I've had for several years. I've taken a few trips to Africa since purchasing my S1IS and have been quite pleased with the quality of the photographs, but disappointed in the shutter lag when photographing moving animals in continuous shooting mode.

Currently I've been looking at the S5IS and have demo'd one and have been pleased with the responsiveness for focusing, etc. My wife and I use the S1IS for all types of shooting after putting my Canon ELAN SLR on the shelf. We like the video on the S1IS and being able to zoom while taking videos (for us the quality is fine and it's only for short video clips from our trips - nothing more than 60 seconds). We also like the swivel LCD screen so we can flip it around and take photos of ourselves in different places.

Now, knowing all that, it appears the S5 is the logical choice for us. But, if I took the swivel screen out of the equation, are there any other zuperzoom cameras that allow you to zoom while taking video? Assuming there aren't and I took that out of the equation again, would the earlier inputs of the FZ-28 and H-50 still hold out at the top choices?

I'm heading back to Africa in the middle of October so time is of the essense for me to pick up a new camera. Thanks so much for those of you who are patient enough to read through this lengthy note. I love this website and it's forum!
cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:31 AM   #16

The Fuji S9100 has the zoom feature while taking video. It has a moveable rear LCD screen but not to the point that you can flip it around and be able to take pictures of yourself.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:37 AM   #17

cerusk wrote:
Quote:
... I've taken a few trips to Africa since purchasing my S1IS and have been quite pleased with the quality of the photographs, but disappointed in the shutter lag when photographing moving animals in continuous shooting mode.

Currently I've been looking at the S5IS and have demo'd one and have been pleased with the responsiveness for focusing, etc... We like the video on the S1IS and being able to zoom while taking videos (for us the quality is fine and it's only for short video clips from our trips - nothing more than 60 seconds). We also like the swivel LCD screen so we can flip it around and take photos of ourselves in different places.

Now, knowing all that, it appears the S5 is the logical choice for us. But, if I took the swivel screen out of the equation, are there any other zuperzoom cameras that allow you to zoom while taking video?

I'm heading back to Africa in the middle of October so time is of the essense for me to pick up a new camera.
I know they've been suggested above, but I'll post a link here so you cancompare them.

If I was looking for a prosumer super-zoom right now, I'd grab an SX1 IS (or an SX10 IS if I didn't need the few extra frill on the SX1). I've had my S2 IS for nearly 3 years now and I've been very pleased with the results. It was a nice step up from my point-and-shoot camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...1is_sx10is.asp

The SX1 has incorporated the CMOS sensor, HD movie clips and a 2.8" swivel LCD screen. And both new Canons have the DICIC IV image processor.

If I were you though, I'd consider jumping up to an entry-level dSLR. I mean, going from your S1 to the SX1 is a huge improvement, but they're very similar cameras. If the movie-making capability is important to you, I believe there are a few dSLRs out there now with that function. A friend of mine is eager to purchase the Nikon D90 for that very reason. The Nikon also has live view, but I suppose you'd be missing the swivel screen. And while some of Sony's Alpha dSLRs have a moving, live view LCD, I'm not sure if they offer a model with the movie clips option.

I guess it's pretty hard to beat the Canon S-series cameras for all-around functionality.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:19 AM   #18

Dear BOLDSTAR:

Thanks for that valuable information, as well as Photo 5's reference of the Fuji9100.

The trick here is I'd love to get the SX10, but it won't be out until I'm already in Africa, thus I need to get something. Maybe I get the S5 for cheap, use it, resell it after the SX10 comes out and take a loss, basically "renting" the S5 for my trip. Wish there was a place to rent cameras - that would be cool, but expensive I'm sure.

I'd love to jump to DSLR but my wife hates messing with them and I'm over lugging around lenses, thus the super-zoom fits both our needs without having to purchase multiple cameras. Since she's used to the Canon layout, that may be the best route, but the more I'm reading up on the Panasonic FZ-28 the more I like it. Seems to me the only issue left for me to answer (and it's a small hang-up) is the lack of using AA batteries, which are available everywhere. Many of my travels are to remote places where electricity may be limited and having a pack of AA's in the luggage are a life-saver. The wide angle on the FZ-28 means I can hold out the camera and still get us in, or take a couple and delete those that are goofs.
cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:00 AM   #19

Cerusk,

The S5 is already a reasonably-priced camera. Pretty good bang for the buck, if you ask me. When I bought my S2 in January 2006, it was nearly $600. You can grab an S5 for a ballpark $350. And those are Canadian prices. Despite the dollars being similar in value nowadays, prices are still lower in the States.

Regarding batteries, I also like the AA option. I bought 2 sets of 2300 mAh NiMH Duracells when I first bought my S2, and they've only recently crapped out. Two-and-a-half yearsand a thousand charges later... with a ballpark 400 photos per charge... what more could you ask for?

I wonder if you'll have to wait for the SX1/10 releases before the price on the S5 drops. If you do buy an S5, make sure you inquire about a partial refund if that model goes on sale the week after you buy it. Some stores will give you 30 or more days to come back in the event of a same-product sale.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:01 AM   #20

cerusk-

There is a lot of validity to your desire for a super zoom that uses AA sized batteries, especially if you are dealing with an African locale. I actively shoot with a Canon S-5 and make very good use of the hotshoe on the S-5 by attacking my Canon EX-430 flash. However, for me at least,there is an ongoing problem with the ISO limitations that I impose to maintain good IQ. As long as I keep the ISO setting at ISO 250 and below, the IQ is excellent for a super zoom with a very small imager. There just are times when I need a bit more ISO, due my desire to do away with the flash (both the built-in flash and/or the external flash) and to not stick out in the crowd or audience.

The articulated LCD screen is nice but not a personal requirement. Irarely ever shoot video clips. As a result, after using a friend's Panasonic FZ-18, I am looking at the Panasonic FZ-28 quite seriously. It has 10mp, the new Venus 4 processor, and a supposedly improved output built-in flash. The trade-off is that I would have to use a slave flashdue to the lack of a hotshoe on the Panasonic FZ-28. It appears that the DigiSlave Model 3000 might have sufficient flash output to make it a viable slave flash.

Image Quality-wise the Panasonic FZ-18 and FZ-28 are right up there, followed closely by the Sony H-50. To finalize my decision, I am looking for a professional review of the FZ-28. I am also not considering the new Canon SX-1 or SX-10 due to the fact that as you zoom out the aperture is reduced much more than other competing super zoom cameras.

Attached is an example of what the Canon S-5 is capable of when using the Canon EX-430 external flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images