Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:16 AM   #21

The S5 is in limited supply right now, so prices are climbing quickly. Amazon is listing it for prices from $430 to $500. It isn't cheap now. You would be better off with something that is current and less costly.

The FZ28 suggestion seems more valid at the moment. You can also shoot in RAW with the FZ28, which would be better in the long run, especially if you shoot RAW + JPEG to get a picture now, and have the RAW for improvements when you get back and have more time and equipment. You will also want more storage cards to keep larger and multiple files stored during the trip, unless you are also bringing a laptop to offload files.

Edit: Here's a review I found for the FZ28;

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...x_dmc_fz28.php

As an alternative, the Fuji S8100fd uses four AA batteries, which may be the deciding factor for you.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3559

The suggested Fuji 9100 costs about $800, so I would not recommend it, because a good DSLR kit would be better at that price.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:56 PM   #22

Denncald:

thanks for all that input, and the links also. That's good information that I absorbed before I took lunch at local camera story to touch/feel the models. I played with the Sony H-50 as well as the Pana FZ-28.

Both felt similar in my hands, though the Sony had a slightly larger grip, which helped me as I'm a larger handed guy. Both models, though as you indicated, take proprietary batteries, but reading thorugh the manual for the FZ-28 the battery charger fully charges in 120 minutes. That means I can plug the battery into the jeep while in Africa (with an inverter) and charge up as we're driving around. That's good news!

I can still find the S5IS for $300, but I do see where the prices are heading up. It's interesting that you can purchase an S5 for less than an S3 right now.

MTCLIMBER:

That's a great photo - that shows what I had thought about the S5, that it's plenty fast to stop moving subjects and provide great photos.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:43 PM   #23

If you decide to get the S5, there is a CHDK hack that opens up a lot of new possibilities to include shooting RAW images.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Dennis
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:50 PM   #24

My Sony H-50 arrived this morning. While it does use a proprietary battery, it is capable of excellent IQ. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:27 PM   #25

We often wonder how well a camera can quench its built-in flash when used for a macro or close-up photo. Here is one with the new Sony H-50 and it quenched the flash perfectly.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:53 PM   #26

Sarah,

Nice pictures. I assume you and your husband quenched your chocolate needs too? (just a flash of insight) :-)

Edit: I noticed in your EXIF data for Flash it says "Yes (Manual, return light detected)". I believe my G9 has something similar, Safety FE (flash exposure). I haven't tried that, so something new to discover, thanks.

Dennis
Old Sep 19, 2008, 4:37 PM   #27

OK, Dennis-

Here is a comparison photo for you of the same subject, butthis one was taken with the new Panasonic FZ-28. It also handled the scene very well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 4:38 PM   #28
RR

i'm using olympus's ultra zoom camera and i'm very satisfied.a wuldn't change it ever!

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:40 PM   #29

RR-

That is as it should be. Liking your camera and learning how to get the most from it is a large portion of the pleasure of taking great photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:40 PM   #30

Thanks for everyone's input. I just purchased my Canon S5IS from Circuit City for $329. Best buy didn't have any, local camera shops were too high, ebay prices were heading higher and higher so I broke out of my boycott and purchased from Circuit City. Having a blast playing with it!

One of the deciding factors for my wife and I was the AA batteries, since most of our travels are overseas and we hardly know when we'll have access to electricity. I'm anxious for the new Canon's to come out, but I'll worry about upgrading again once all reviews are in and the jury has come up with a verdict.

FYI: Photo from last trip to Africa 3 years ago with my Canon S1IS:

Attached Images

cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote