Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1

I am looking for a Sony Alpha digital camera. I think I am leaning towards the DSLRA350A. Any thoughts?

Also, while doing extensive research I came across this deal from Sony that I am going to use. I thought I would post the link in order for others to take advantage. I believe the offer expires soon.

$100 off any Sony Alpha digital camera

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=snal

SnapShottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:00 PM   #2

Sony makes good cameras, but whether it's the right camera for you or not depends on a couple of things. First, what do you plan on using the camera for? What is it that attracts you to the A350 over other dSLR cameras? Finally, have you handled the camera yet?

The last question is very important, and definitely check out the viewfinder. While Sony's live view is very good (probably better than any of the other dSLR cameras), it comes at the price of a smaller viewfinder. That might not be a problem to some, but it would be a deal-breaker for others.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3

mtngal-

You make an excellent point about the viewfinder on the Sony A-350. I purchased and returned an A-350 just beacuse I did not like the viewfinder size and brightness.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4

I held a Sony A350 in my hands just the other day. I was trying to compare it to the Canon XSi in person, both of which I was considering as my first dSLR.

While the Sony can boast the best live-view technology, the flip-out LCD screen seemed awfully flimsy. Of course this could be the result of people man-handling the demo model. I did not notice the small EVF, but the camera itself was rather heavy and was missing the comfortable rubberized grip of the XSi.

On the positive side, the Sony has in-camera image stabilization where the Canon models rely on lens IS.

Food for thought.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5

SnapShottt wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a Sony Alpha digital camera. I think I am leaning towards the DSLRA350A. Any thoughts?

Also, while doing extensive research I came across this deal from Sony that I am going to use. I thought I would post the link in order for others to take advantage. I believe the offer expires soon.

$100 off any Sony Alpha digital camera

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=snal

After initially taking this thread seriously, I nowrealize that it'sa plug for Sony and Chase Bank. The link posted by SnapShottt is for a Sony-Visa credit card.

Note that SnapShottt only started/posted in one thread. The thread title and actual post isvague and marketing-oriented, and he or she did not follow up or post in any of the other informative Sony Alpha discussions.

Applying for this card would involve a credit check, which isn't a big deal unless you're in the habit of being duped by promotions like this (multiple credit checks are not good for your credit rating).

But, the key words in the ad are, "you're eligible to get..." In legal and contract terms, the word 'eligible' means that you 'might' qualify. More than likely, names are drawn froma pool of applicants and only a small percentage (if any) will ever see a discount ona Sony Alpha camera.

I can't believe the moderators didn't catch this one. But I guess there's no harm done, except maybe for the Steve's-generated click-though marketing revenue tracked from the fake post and unique URL. Wouldn't you love to meet some of these marketing geniuses?
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote