Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:17 PM   #1
mpk

Hi,

im looking at buying a new camera and have narrowed down to 3 camera's - Sony H50, Nikon Coolpix P80 and Canon Rebel XT. My budget is under $500. Currently i use a Canon SD750 IS, but im not happy with the night photo's especially of city skylines and thats the reason i need a new camera with better quality Photo's. Im not a professional photographer, but i do like my photo's with good quality. I know its hard to compare digital with SLR, but i just need comparison on the quality of photo's. Is the quality of Rebel excellent enough to pay $500 when i can get similar quality(??) with H10 or P80 which i can get for $300. How big is the difference in quality of night pics for these camera's.

Can anyone advice which of these 3 would have the best quality for night photo's. Im not worried about day pics as even a 3mp camera takes excellent day photo's. Also i wont be buying new lenses if i get the Rebel XT, i will use the 1 that comes with it which is approx 4x optical zoom which is fine with me. My main concern is quality of night pics, 18x or 4x zoom is not a concern for me. Also i dont want to carry lots of lenses for now neither do i want to change lenses everytime, its more of point and shoot with some manual changes but good quality of night photo's. so 1 lense with Rebel would be enough for me. Also if anyone is wondering why i didnt chose Canon S5, then its because of AA batteries. Also not sure if a Nikon D40/D60 is better than Rebel XT as its in similar price range.

Thanks,
MPK
mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:18 PM   #2

Between the H50 and the P80 it's pretty much a draw. Check here: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3560&ph=1

H50 vs. Pany FZ18: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3299&ph=1

Night shots can encompass a wide variety of subjects and methods. Whether either the H50 or the P80 would be able to do what YOU have in mind would depend on the specifics. In general any DSLR will perform better in low light than P&S cameras.

D60 Vs. 450D: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3299&ph=1

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:03 AM   #3

Just in my opinion. the Sony H-50 is the strongest camera in this group. I own both the Panasonic FZ-18, the Nikon P-80, and the Sony H-50.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4

Sarah thought you said before that the Panasonic was a better camera then the sony??
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:14 PM   #5

Canadian-

My opinion is based on the fact that I personally find it easier to get consistently better IQ from the H-50 rather than the Nikon P-80, or the Panasonic FZ-18. That is not to say that the other two cameras are of a lesser ranking, ( the FZ-18 and the H-50 are rather close together in IQ) but rather for me, at least, I nowfeel more at home and comfortable with the Sony H-50 camera. So please chalk that one up to pure ergonomics.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote