Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:49 PM   #1

I need a camera that I can take close ups of jewelry. I need to use the macro focus and be able to point and shot with out having to wait for it to get in focus? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Alicia
peanutt724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:00 AM   #2

Alicia-

Some of the best digicams that focus very closely are the Canon S-3 and Canon S-5 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:11 PM   #3

peanutt724 wrote:
Quote:
I need a camera that I can take close ups of jewelry. I need to use the macro focus and be able to point and shot with out having to wait for it to get in focus? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Alicia
Alicia,

EVERY camera requires focusing first, then shooting the image. As Sarah has pointed out, the Canon S3 and S5 are excellent at macro photography, because they offer something called Super Macro mode, where you can get 0 cm from your object. This means you can actually touch the lens with the object. However, you still need to focus, and measure exposure settings.

The S3 was replaced by the S5 last year, so it's difficult to find one at a reasonable price. The S5 is about to be replaced (as are several Canon models) so the quantities available are limited, and prices are really climbing. I just saw an S5 on Amazon for $440 to $500. The S3 I found on Amazon was going for $700. Supply and Demand have turned to Greed and Gouge

As an alternative, I would recommend you consider the Canon A590 IS, currently selling for about $130 on Amazon. It's macro can "only" get as close at 5 cm, but you want to photograph jewelry, not the eyes of a bug.

Both the A590 IS and the S3/S5 models have the option of Manual focusing supplemented by Safety Manual Focus, using Auto focus to fine tune manual focusing. This would allow you to do a quick manual focus in the range you prefer, then let Auto focus tweak the final focus more quickly.

The A590 IS has several other manual controls that will allow you to make adjustments to help your shooting style. Manual controls are always helpful to have. It also can be used in full Auto, but you are better off using P (Program) mode to allow you make adjustments according to your situation. Or, perhaps in Av (aperture priority) to control your depth of focus.

Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote