Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:39 PM   #1

I currently have a Sony Cybershot P200 and recently it seems as if dust has gone inside the lens somehow and is creating 2 black dots in some photos. I have had it for a few years now and am now looking to get a new one but cant narrow it down enough.

I would prefer a Sony but dont really mind on the make as long as it is a good/reliable make. 8-12MP and preferably with good zoom. Would like it to have quite a lot of settings and good macro too. And also don't want it to take AA (rechargable) batteries as they run down too quickly.

So far I have £90 spare to get it but have a limit up to £130-140 max.

Can anyone reccomend any good cameras like that?
cwaddell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:44 PM   #2

The Sony DSC W150 or W170 are the closest you'll find to the P200 within your price range.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:56 PM   #3

Ok thanks. Had looked at them a bit but will look at those a bit more. Is the only real difference between them the Megapixels?

Also had a look at some Olympus cameras - are there any good ones or would the W150/70 be better?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:28 PM   #4

For small point and shoots the Sonys are definitely better, especially the Sony W cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:44 AM   #5

Ok thanks. Think I'll probably go for the W150 once I have enough money spare. Unless anyone can tell me a better one I can get.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:35 PM   #6

I'd advise against the Sony DSC-W150. It takes horrible pictures. I bought two and ended up returning them (I thought the first was defective, but nope). Go to Amazon.com and read some customer reviews. Most will actually say it's a great camera, but read the poor reviews also. I wrote one (under "Nerdhead"). My advice: try it if you can before buying: zoom in and critically examine a small area. You'll see splotches of color, fuzziness, grainy outlines, all sorts of ills. This issue is in the entire Sony W-series.

nextel2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:27 PM   #7

We have to acknowlege one well known fact: ultra compacts due to their size have problems that even good IS cannot overcome. Yes, we constantly hear the demand for smaller and smaller cameras. However, as you do that image quality also falls dramatically.

If you were to move upwards in the camera food chain, say to a camera like the Sony H-10, you will see a dramatic improvement in photo quality. The camera is still very pocket-able but you got better image quality and such features as 10X optical zoom. That's a fair trade-off!

Here is what an H-10 photo looks like. Notice the increased dynamic range, the increased optical zoom, the nice blue skies with fluffy blue clouds, and most of all, the better or increased image quality. You be the judge! Tell me if this is not better??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:15 PM   #8

I really like the Lumix DMC TZ5, great glass, 10x zoom and HD video in an "entry level" budget. Heres a great resource for searching for cameras, this will take you to cameras for all usages under $300.
http://www.bestinclass.com/digital-c...tions/49da04b5
bokehdokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:57 AM   #9

Everyone has to choose their own camera-

I for one am not a TZ-5 fan, although I do in fact own one. So please go with whatever camera you think will work best for you.I think that th Sony H-10 far outweighs the TZ-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10

cwaddell27 wrote:
Quote:
So far I have £90 spare to get it but have a limit up to £130-140 max.
As you're presumably in the UK, take a look at my local camera shop's website http://www.wrexcam.com , and ask them (via website or phone) to send you their latest leaflet on digicams, which has lots of mini-reviews of current models, with no holds barred! Their clientele in Wrexham are usually on a tight budget, like me, so you'll get good advice. If you ring them up and ask for Steve, Rhod, or Jack, they'll advise you honestly. I don't know where you are, and I don't knowhow reliable their mail order service may be (under the name 'Vostro Cameras') , but I do know they're expert in the price range you're looking at, and like having satisfied customers.

I bought my daughter's Xmas present camera there, and finished up paying £200 for a 'RolleiXS-10 inTouch', of which I'm very jealous, because it's the same size but better than my own excellent pocket camera (Casio EX-Z750, Sep 2005).

Make sure you mention your dislike of AA batteries. I think AA Ni-MH cells are very good, and I'm sad thatmy two best cameras don't use them. Li-ion rechargeables will die after a couple of years, whether you use them or not.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote