Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:43 PM   #1
RR

hi,
i was wondering if you could help me choosing the right camera.
i'm now using olympus UZ p&s camera but i want more so i want dslr...as im very satisfied with olympus i wanted to buy olympus e-510,it comes with zuiko digital lens 14-42mm and 40-150mm,so it looks to me as a nice offer,even though i never used any lenses,so i dont even know what these numbers means...
anyway,i know i bother you,but please explain me what these numbers means and tell me your opinion is it a good offer...is this camera worth buying or not?what do you recommend?

p.s. sorry for my english,it's not my native language
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:23 PM   #2

The Olympus E-510 with the two kit lenses is a good deal, depending on how much it costs. The camera was recently replaced by the E-520 model, so you are buying last year's model, but it was still a highly recommended camera. The two lenses allow you to have the equivalent 35 mm range of 28mm to 84mm in one lens, and 80mm to 300mm in the other one. These are not the best lenses, but they are good enough, and they give you a combined coverage of 28mm to 300mm, which fine for a multitude of conditions.

Here is a good review on the camera

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol...10/index.shtml

Here is what the camera is selling for on Amazon for comparison;

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita.../dp/B000NVXF30

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:57 PM   #3

The Olympus E-510 two lens kit has a lot going for it. Olympus makes the smallest, lightest dSLRs available, and its lenses are the smallest and lightest as well (for equivalent angles of view.) They also offer 'Live View', so you can compose using the LCD display just like a P&S. The E-510also has sensor shift image stabilization which compensates for motion blur due to camera shake.

There are some downsides though. The E-510 can't autofocus while using 'Live View'. That's the difference between it and the E-520. Olympus dSLRs have one of the slowest autofocus systems, so they would be inappropriate for sports/action/wildlife photography, and don't do well at high ISO settings, so low light photography might be easier with a dSLR from some other manufacturer.Also, other than the 2 lenses that come with the camera, other lenses are very expensive and the selection is small.

The focal length of a lens determines its angle of view for a given exposure size. Olympus uses a small image sensor for a dSLR, so the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses have angles of view ranging from75°-29° and 30°-8.2°respectively. Other dSLR manufacturers use slightly larger image sensors, so slightly longer focal length lenses give the same angles of view.

Canon has the largest selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories, followed closely by Nikon, and has the best autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife photography, again, followed closely by Nikon. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in some of their lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive. Some of Canon's entry level dSLRs have 'Live View'. Most of Nikon's entry level dSLRs have poor autofocus systems and don't have internal autofocus motors so they can't autofocus many of Nikon's lenses and most third party and used lenses.

Pentax and Sony use sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body,so any lens is stabilized, including lenses madefor more thantwenty years.

What type(s) of photography are you interested in?

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
RR

i'm interested in every type of photography except sport,so mostely landscapes,portrets,buildings,nature,so i dont think i'm going to need some extra fast focus.as i won't use live view so much,disability of autofocus there won't be a problem...as i know,for the nearly same prize,i would get canon with same abilities like olympus,just with olympus i'll get the two lences i've mentioned...
which canon do you prepose that is similar with olymus e-510?
thank you for your time,this is relly helping me
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5

The Canon XS (1000D) & XSi (450D) are close to the Olympus E-510, if you disregard all that other stuff. The XSi is 12MP while the XS and E-510 are 10MP. The Canons come with a optically stabilized kit lens while the Olympus has stabilization in the body so it works with all lenses.

If all you'll ever need is the two kit lenses and won't do any sports/action/wildlife or high ISO photography, the E-510 is a good deal (given the caveats itemized above.)

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 4:33 PM   #6
RR

ok,thanks a lot...you were very helpfull