Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Fuji or Panasonic
Fuji Finepix S100fs 3 75.00%
Panasonic DMC-FZ-50 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:26 PM   #11

Sarah: Thanks! For me, the price difference ends up being about US$50, not counting a wide angle adapter that I'd probably end up buying for the Panny. Main thing, for me, is IQ & ergonomics.
mfurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:31 PM   #12

None the less, armadilloshield-

The REAL question is this for the OP. What is the most cost effective solution that is available to you. If you want to do without the weight, the bulk, and the size of the Fuji behmouth, then you have to rather seriously look at the Panasonic FZ-50 as a very viable alternative. And I have to personally add, that the Pansonic FZ-50 is indeed a very viable alternative in this case. It is indeed, a very great, although a somewhat outdated alternative, to the Fuji monster.

As a professional, I have hauled the many lensed DSLR kits for more than a few years. And quite frankly, my shoulders are very tired. I am one who desires the "SMALLER, LESS WEIGHTY SOLUTION! And the Panasonic FZ-28 or FZ-50 does indeed offer that option to the OP.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:41 PM   #13

They're both viable alternatives! And that's my dilemma. Maybe the hands-on will help.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:55 PM   #14

mfurst-

As I mentioned previously, as a long time SLR/DSLR user, I am way too tired of carrying a huge kit of multiple lenses and camera bodies, so I lean greatly toward the Panasonic FZ-50, as the easy and convenient solution.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:12 PM   #15

Yeah, me too. I'm just not sure how much size difference there is between the Leica (Panasonic) and the Fuji. That could all be the deciding factor. I can't find either one here (in China) altho I'd guess they're both "made in China". I've seen all the specs, but don't really know what all that really means. I'm flying out this afternoon & arrive tomorrow. So I guess I'll find out then.

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:39 PM   #16

Mike-

Please believe me, the Panasonic FZ-50 is MUCH smaller, lighter, and more compactthat that Fuji monster. Get to civilization and you will see what I mean.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:57 PM   #17

mfurst wrote:
Quote:
They're both viable alternatives! And that's my dilemma. Maybe the hands-on will help.
1 more question to you, do you need to use high ISO?
If you don't, then I guess the choice quite obvious, FZ50
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:09 PM   #18

It certainly comes in handy at times.I've done shoots inside Tibetan Buddhist temples & monasteries that are quite dark. Fast lenses are good (neither of which these two cams really have) but so is fast film . . .er, higher ISO on the sensor. Dynaic range is also a useful thing for me.

BTW: these both have lenses that, at wide angle, aren't exactly slow (f 2.0 ), but fast to me is under f 2.0.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:25 AM   #19

I also have the Fuji S100fs and find it to be a great camera very sharp lens, i had comparison shots with my 450D and 17-85 lens but took them off, Fuji was much sharper
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:46 AM   #20

Mike-

I also believe that both cameras also have a hot shoe as well. I make very good use of my Olympus FL-50 Flash mounted on the FZ-50's hot shoe when I need more light. When possible, I find bounce, or semi bounce lighting to be very effective.

Sarah Joyce