Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Fuji or Panasonic
Fuji Finepix S100fs 3 75.00%
Panasonic DMC-FZ-50 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:49 AM   #21

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Mike-

I also believe that both cameras also have a hot shoe as well. I make very good use of my Olympus FL-50 Flash mounted on the FZ-50's hot shoe when I need more light. When possible, I find bounce, or semi bounce lighting to be very effective.

Sarah Joyce
Yes S100fs does have a hot shoe, what flash would be good for the Fuji?
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:46 AM   #22

Hercules-

I believe that it is just a 2 contact ISO type hot shoe, so you could easily use any manual flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:16 PM   #23

This may be a workable solution, however you may have to wait a couple of months. Panasonic just announced the LUMIX DMC-G1 which is a micro 4:3 system. It is essentially a digicam in a very small light weight dSLR body with out a mirror and has inter-changeable lenses, that are smaller than the 4:3 mount and much smaller than the APS-c.

They currently have 2 lenses, 14-45/f3.5-5.6 stabilized and a 45-200
/f4-5.6 stabilized. They have indicated a 14 - 140/f4-5.6 (also stabilized) which would be essentially an all in one, that appears to be available the first of the year. With a 2x factor that is an equivalent range of 28mm to 240mm or 400mm depending on the lens.

It also uses contrast autofocusing, with some enhanced focusing functionality.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/panasonic_09122008_g1_pr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/panasonic_09122008_lenses_pr.html

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicG1/

I saw a reference that the body and single kit lens are expected to be around $800 (but who really knows).

There are very few pre production reviews...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:37 PM   #24

Yes, I do indeed agree with interested observer, the Panasonic G-1 may indeed be the camera that splits the camera world in to very tiny pieces. There is no doubt that the Panasonic G-1 will be a very powerful leader, as the camera industry evolves.

However, we would be doing a disservice to everyone if we were to downplay the venerable Panasonic FZ-50. The FZ-50 was an earth changing camera in its day. However, we have to honestly ask, if that earth changing effect of the FZ-50 camera has been elipsed by the several years since it was introduced?

Please don't get me wrong, I own a FZ-50 camera. But folks, it has become quite clear that the IQ of the FZ-28 is fast approaching the IQ produced by the venerable FZ-50. I sincerely believe that the FZ-28 will become the leader within the FZ-series, while the new and dramatically different Panasonic G-1 will take over and surpass Panasonic's DSLR line of cameras.

Folks, I sincerely believe that the upper level camera market has taken on an entirely new shift. The Panasonic G-1 camera and it deritives will supplant the entire Panasonic DSLR line of cameras, which at this point only amounts to two rather over-priced cameras.

I believe that things will change fast and be based on the new Panasonic G-1 format, rather than on the somewhat still born Panasonic DSLR line of cameras. DSLR's have not had really great sales for Panasonic. So they have to make (bridge players are you listeneing?) a very rather radical jump and shift strategy to preserve the brand name. The Panasonic DSLR cameras will be quickly dropped rather diplomatically, and the Panasonic G-1 camera will forge strongly ahead with even more lenses available for that camera.

The bottomline is really this: Panasonic is now inits greatest position to engage in direct warfare with the old line camera lines, like Nikon and Canon. The Panasonic strategy will be to leap across the DSLR gap entirely by offering a very viable micro 4/3rds camera: the Panasonic G-1.

It will taake a bit of time, but let's see what actually evolves.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:39 PM   #25

By the way, your poll calculator is not working at all.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2008, 3:14 AM   #26

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Mike-

Please believe me, the Panasonic FZ-50 is MUCH smaller, lighter, and more compactthat that Fuji monster. Get to civilization and you will see what I mean.

Sarah Joyce
Well i don't think that theres that much different in size, here are the dimensions FZ-50 weight with battery 734 g (1.6 lb) 141 x 86 x 142 mm (5.5 x 3.4 x 5.6 in) S100fs with battery 968 g (34 oz) 133 x 94 x 150 mm (5.3 x 3.7 x 5.9 in).
Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:37 AM   #27

Well, I surprised myself. I started with the Fuji (to repeat: I live in China and, when I buy things like this, I have them delivered to my address in NYC for pickup just before I come back), and then had second thoughts due to the reports of CA/PF with the Fuji. Then, after some on-line discussion, bought the Panasonic (actually the Leica version, with the pricing similar today due to a $250 Leica rebate) DMC-FZ50. Then I decided (without having held either camera) that I could live with the chromatic abberation issues & decided to send the Leica back. Then, last nite when I finally got to NYC & home, I unpacked both cameras (I've got about a 5 day window to decide & ship one back w/o penalties). I was all prepared to keep the Fuji & ship out the Leica.

So here's what happened: both are high quality in feel, altho the Leica/Panny body feels more plasticky. The Leica lens does not extend out when zooming, which is nice. Also, the Leica lens is all metal (barrel), while the Fuji's is more plasticky. BUT (and its a big "but" for me), the Fuji is noticeably bigger & heavier. Not as big & heavy as some of my pro gear (Nikon F5's, Hasselblad, Oly's), but still big. I'm looking for a load to carry that's less than my current knock-around camera (an Oly E-300 + 4 lenses). Both of these cameras would be a lighter load than the Oly bag of tricks, but the difference in size & weight between these two was the decider. Besides, I think my Oly flash will work w/ the Leica/Panny TTL, which is a plus.

So the Leica/Panny stays & the S100 goes back. But, the S100fs seems like a piece of high quality gear. I was looking forward to it. And I think the IQ is better. Oh, well! Thanks for your help!

If I have a need for high quality low-light work (and know ahead of time that's going to happen), I can always cart around my Oly which (despite the lower pixel count) is still probably better than the Fuji. Anyway, I'm sure I'll miss what "might have been" for a few days, and then move on. Both seem like great cameras.

Oh, and btw: some other features of the Leica/Panny helped the decision along. With the Fuji, I was feeling like no matter how I held it, my thumb was on top of one or another button. This wasn't a big irritant but, big as the camera is, there's no safe place for my thumb (and I've got small hands). The second thing is that I like the Leica's manual focus better (the LCD or EVF gives you a quick enlarged area to see, and seems accurate. The Fuji gives you a silly line along the bottom of the LCD/EVF which gives you a sliding scale and "optimum focus" target. If I use the latter, I might as well autofocus, no?

So thanks, folks! You REALLY helped me with this surprisingly difficult decision. And I got to finally join this forum, where I've been lurking for (really) years.

And Sarah: you really have too many cameras -- even more, it seems than me, and that's not easy to do do!

For everyone else, I highly recommend the Fuji S100fs. I think they've hit a really solid hit on this one and I hope the market rewards them well. I'm sorry I can't keep both cameras!
mfurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:57 AM   #28

I'm sure which ever one you choose you'll be happy')
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:29 AM   #29

mfurst-

Many thanks for sharing your decision process with us. Congratulations on your new camera! Post some photos when you have a chance. I am also an old OLY user who got tired of packing all that hear around. I did keep my E-500 and my E-1 for backup use though.

Me, have too many cameras? Well there is a reason. I am a professional digital camera instructorand being conversant with multiple cameras makes me a more effective instructor. Or at least, that is the rationale that I put forth to my husband.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:50 AM   #30

Sarah;

I'm glad to hear that at least one of us has an excuse. When I did pro stuff, I was shooting catalogues and some magazine work where digital (hi-grade files, at least for then) were acceptable, and film for everything else. The film work was with (I think I mentioned before) mostly Nikon F5's & Hasselblad or Mamiya medium format slide film. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the cameras weren't mine, so at least I didn't have to worry about paying the bills, buying lenses, etc., but then you can't grab the equipment when you go on vacation.

I still do some arty stuff & print and sell things, but its very erratic. Maybe the Leica/Panny (Panaleica?) will prove up to the task for that -- with prints usually no bigger than A4 (or A3, on rare occasions). I've occasionally posted photos online but have tried to reduce the quality to barely acceptable levels to try to prevent others swiping the good ones; probably a losing battle. I once caught a guy in a musem taking photos of my photos on exhibit. I made a very embarrassing scene (and was happy to do it! :ak47
mfurst is offline   Reply With Quote